dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

mg15

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 22, 2012
two bites on the australorpe. on her back. what should i use. going to go and get the tylan now. I have liquid baytril.
how much do i give her?
thank you.

I have had that experiance before. I do not know how open your chicken's wounds are but my hen's were gaping. I put hydrogen pyroxide and A+D on the bites right away to stop infection and she recovered. And make sure you iscolate her

My avian vet said that the dose for birds is 15mg-20mg per kilogram (1kg = 2.2 pounds). If you have the 10% liquid, that's 0.15ml to 0.20ml for every 1 kilogram of body weight.

Forgot to say that I've had a few cat/dog/hawk caught birds and I usually just clean/flush the wounds then put neosporin on them. Not sure Baytril is the right type of antibiotic in this case, so I would research that before using it.

-Kathy

I have had that experiance before. I do not know how open your chicken's wounds are but my hen's were gaping. I put hydrogen pyroxide and A+D on the bites right away to stop infection and she recovered. And make sure you iscolate her

Very good advice!

-Kathy

She is still alive. The attack took place Friday nite. Today is Monday.
She ate a scrambled egg.
Cleaned out the wounds.
Put neosporin on them, she is on warmth. And I hope she lives
Thank you for all your help.

we took her to the vet.
She is on liquid Baytril.
cleansing the wounds.
the vet said she should be put down.
I can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom