Dog on Killing spree

Oh Steve, I'm so sorry - that is so sad. I've found that when I've been down to one, they are so sad and lonely and that having a buddy is so important so if you can, yes, I'd get her a friend (other threads have discussed how to best introduce/integrate.....I admit that when my roo was wanting to die - refusing to eat, drink, move.. - from losing his hen friend I made haste and introduced a new friend quickly - luckily it worked out with no illnesses or trauma but it is usually recommended that there be a quarantine period).

Liz, it is indeed so sad the way value gets calculated sometimes - so far from accurate.....I hope someday society evolves to think of value in a more true way. I would still urge folks to calculate their expenses to the max so that the people whose negligence caused the problem can perhaps better see the magnitude of what's been done essentially at their hand, hoping they will be honorable and pay even if in the end they only pay what they are mandated to...(money does not make the loss or injury any less painful to most of us, I'm sure - but hopefully it serves to educate the person presented with the bill).I have failed to do this in the past when I've had my sweet roo attacked because I was focusing 24/7 on saving his life but it's unfortunate because the people whose irresponsibility caused the attacks never felt the pain of it in any way, and sadly, probably learned little. I actually lost a piece of paper with a person's name and phone number on it after their dog attacked my roo and very nearly killed him. The vet bills were mighty impressive, I took significant time off work to nurse him through and all of it entirely at my expense. I should have taped the piece of paper to the fridge!

JJ

I love dogs and I think pitbulls get a lot of undeserved bad publicity. BUT...any dog that has killed another animal more than once or for sport needs to be put down ASAP! Sometimes a dog will accidentally kill a cat, chicken etc while trying to play with it. These dogs MAY never do it again, but can never really be trusted. around small animals. And any dog that attacks larger animals, like goats, sheep etc is DEFINATELY in need of euthanasia. Someone should secure the dog and either take it to a vet and have it put down, or tie it up and shoot it before someone shoots it during an attack and possibly just wounds it. It is a horrible way to die. Last year, my 2 yr old pit got out of the yard and was running in a cow pasture. The owner didn't realize (or care) that the dog was not attacking, just chasing the cattle. He shot him with a 22 and he made it home a couple hours later. The bullet had gone in his side, bounced off the femur on the opposite leg and was somewhere in his abdomen. By the time I could get him to an ER Vet, (SUnday nite, 45 mins away) he had lost too much blood to even make an attempt to save him. I am very upset about my dog and the fact the farmer had lousy aim (wish it had either been better or a lot worse) but I can't blame the farmer because all he saw was a large dog, a pit bull after his livestock. But no dog should have to suffer like that. At least mine made it home so I could have him put down, rather than suffering for a couple days before he died out in the woods somewhere.

Hi Steve-

Dang! Sorry about your hen! People that don't care for their dogs properly just get under my skin in the worse way.
rant.gif

Good luck finding companionship for your other bird. They are social creatures so I would find another hen myself.

So sad...
hit.gif

Pedro

PS I am sorry, I would shoot the dog. If the owner is not responsible enough to keep him contained, it is best for the dog. You are doing the dog a favor...TRUST me. The dog getting out one time accidentally is one thing...this case is of clear and overt negligence.

What a shame. Like I said in some of my other posts regarding feral dogs. You do what it takes to protect your animals.
It is a sad situation for the dog, but it cannot be allowed to run loose. What if it attacks a child next? It is only a matter of time.
The dog is not killing for food, it is killing for sport, as a high for no other stimulation in its life. Having no boundries it is only a matter of time beofre it does something more destructive, like attack a human.
Either trap it and shoot it or call a vet and have them euthinize the dog on your property.
I would also call the local and state police department's.
Good luck with this situation.

I agree with many here. Also think moonwalker brought up a good point. If you have to do it, MAKE SURE it is a clean kill and not just wounding an animal and leaving it to suffer. I have seen many who know how to pull a trigger but only half of them had a hope of ever dropping what they aimed at.

I agree with K Staven. Make sure you do the deed on your first shot. Maybe you can find someone who will do it for you? Or like I said, trap it and then shoot it or call a vet and have it euthinzed on your property.
What an awful topic. Grrrrrr
-Theresa

All the people that live around us, know we shoot problem dogs no questions asked.

They don't have to get in the barn, they just have to get within range.

Some people think there is no such thing as a bad dog, but that is not true. Animals have a personality; anyone with horses will tell you about temperament.

You have two choices with a neighbor dog that kills chickens, keep feeding your chickens to the dog, or remove the problem.

After losing over 150 birds and a goat and very nearly our own dog over a three year span, we went on the offense. Ask no questions, take no prisoners.

I agree. Dogs are somewhat evil in the chicken world(except for those who are friendly of course). When my chickens were free-ranging and I was watching over them, a street dog came by. I took a wood club and charged at the dog, as it ran away with fear. It never came back after that.

I hope your chickens would be safe from dogs and other predators!
smile.png

Last edited:
this subject aggravates me to no end. Having lost chickens and my fav. roo to a neighbors dog I know how sad and frustrating it is especially when the neighbor could care less. I want to allow my chickens time to free range but I can't because there are just too many dogs around that would love a chicken chase. It makes me angry that us who care for our animals suffer because of them who don't care. Did the neighbor loose anything NO! He still has his dog and it still runs loose. I lost my birds and my birds lost any hope of being out of there run. Animal control does little to nothing to protect these animals including the one running the neighborhood. It is just sad.

The dog has been put down. The owner shot her with no problem(He shot one of his other dogs 4 years ago becouse he was deaf)

Since I didnt see the dog attack my rooster, I can prove it, but all the other attacks were seen. I dont think any one is asking for money.
I would of shoot the dog, but we dont have guns at my house.

Back
Top Bottom