Dog Problems

You're getting off pretty cheaply. Pay the $100, it's worth it, if only to mend fences a bit. Your neighbor's chickens WERE free-ranging, but they were free-ranging in HER yard. If someone's dog came across your mother-in-law's invisible fence and killed your dog would you want the owner held responsible? Just be glad that the neighbor didn't shoot her. There was a post on here just a few days ago that did not end very well for the dogs involved.

$20 a bird is fair for laying hens.....
......the feed during the replacements growout isn't huge, but the loss of egg sale revenue during replacements growout is much more money wise.

The bird owner should get to decide where the replacement birds come from.
Bringing in just any new adult birds can be a disaster from a disease standpoint.

You're getting off pretty cheaply. Pay the $100, it's worth it, if only to mend fences a bit. Your neighbor's chickens WERE free-ranging, but they were free-ranging in HER yard. If someone's dog came across your mother-in-law's invisible fence and killed your dog would you want the owner held responsible? Just be glad that the neighbor didn't shoot her. There was a post on here just a few days ago that did not end very well for the dogs involved.
Excellent point - it can be helpful to put the shoe on the other foot and I think this opens the door to consider something, OP. If you were the one who had suffered the loss would you want the person responsible (owner of the other animal) to pick any old dog to replace the your dog?

I've put myself in her shoes, yeah. It's not like I'm not being sympathetic. But these are random older chickens that were given to her...She couldn't even tell me the breed or anything. I had offered to give her the money for younger laying hens that I found local to me and she refuses. The conversation we had today is leading me to believe she doesn't want to replace the chickens...she just wants extra money.

No..... It's up to her to decide where the replacement hens come from and to pick them out herself if she chooses......
......she's probably ticked off because you are trying to wheel and deal instead of just paying up and moving on.

Last edited:
So what if she doesn't replace the chickens? That's not even the point. YOUR dog went on HER property and killed HER chickens. Period. She had time, effort, money and feed invested in these birds. How do you know they were "random older birds someone gave her"? Did she tell you that? Even if they were, do you think she may have had some emotional attachment to them? A lot of people see them as their pets. I don't, but I'd still expect compensation for my mutt laying hens if a neighbor's dog killed them, and I'd still be asking for at least $20 each for them. Why? Because it will take at least that to get more chicks and raise them up to laying age. Not to mention the loss of the eggs, or the time and feed I put into the hens I'd be replacing. Just pay her the $100 and be done with it Your dog was where she shouldn't be. Your neighbor's chickens were on their property. You are responsible for damages.

You should be very grateful your dog is still alive. If It were me it wouldn't be and that's perfectly legal where I'm at. It don't matter what she does with the money that's none of your business.

I've put myself in her shoes, yeah. It's not like I'm not being sympathetic. But these are random older chickens that were given to her...She couldn't even tell me the breed or anything. I had offered to give her the money for younger laying hens that I found local to me and she refuses. The conversation we had today is leading me to believe she doesn't want to replace the chickens...she just wants extra money.

That does not matter - YOUR dog left YOUR property - it went to HER property and killed HER birds. YOU have no leg to stand on here. Pay the $100 and be grateful you still have a dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom