Dog trainers HELP!

I disagree about the collar length; it should fit over her head comfortably, and not be much larger. Also, smaller links give a sharper correction, maybe necessary, maybe not. She should never have the lead, however long it is, tight, there should always be some slack in it. Practice those about turns!
Here we start with a six foot lead, then twenty foot, then the magic collar, which is just a very long leash. Training retrievers and pointers, they need to think you can always reach out and touch them...
Mary
The above is correct, as long as it's loose, not tight, and easy to be slip over her head. You will still be able to give a good correction with some slack. I suggested 22" since thats the length we have our 7 month old lab pup in, and it fits her well with some slack for growth.

so how big should the collar be? she is a 30lb dog
You might have to buy 2 sizes and see. Our 6 year old 65lb lab fits a 22" collar, he's petite. Maybe an 18" or 22"?

The lunge line is helpful for teaching the first step in heal, walking with her on the lead and turing when she passes you. She eventually hits the end of the lead causing a correction. I explained it in an earlier post. Otherwise, a 6ft lead will be used for other commands. :)

We've had three dogs who needed a prong collar, but I've never met a poodle mix that tough! A chain slip collar is a good choice.
Consistency is the key here too; one command, once, and enforce it every time. Don't let her do it her way sometimes, you'll never win, or be the leader you should be. I never tell one of our dogs to do something unless I'm prepared to make it happen! I am the queen!
Mary

Ok ill order everything later today this is the list tell me if I'm forgeting anything.
slip chain collar
long lead
Sounds good to me, when we did our course we purchased a check chain, long lead, and 6ft lead from the trainer. Assuming you already have the 6ft or something close to that, you should be good.

We've had three dogs who needed a prong collar, but I've never met a poodle mix that tough! A chain slip collar is a good choice.
Consistency is the key here too; one command, once, and enforce it every time. Don't let her do it her way sometimes, you'll never win, or be the leader you should be. I never tell one of our dogs to do something unless I'm prepared to make it happen! I am the queen!
Mary
This is put perfectly.
Most dogs prefer for you to be the leader, it takes a lot of weight off their shoulders. Does she know down? If not, you'll show leadership when you teach that.

Back
Top Bottom