Dog trainers HELP!

Pics
Do you have any neighbors with well-trained dogs living nearby? Or friends with well-trained dogs who are willing to come by and help you?
After Maggie is good at loose-leash walking in the backyard and seems to understand she is expected to stay by your side, you could get neighbors to help you, by walking their dogs by you while you walk Maggie down the block. You could start by walking in opposite directions on the opposite side of the street, and as she gets better at not reacting too much, progress to walking in the same direction on opposite sides, passing each other nearby, and eventually walking together. If you can, try this with a variety of different dogs.

Hi Everyone,
I have a dog named Maggie who is a very well behaved dog inside house...
She knows lots of tricks, sit, sit pretty, speak, quiet speak, roll over, crawl, kiss, high five shake, lay down, focus. and she does not beg at the table unlike our other dog) and I even do some agility with her (just for fun.)
But she is a different dog outside... when she sees a dog on walks she goes crazy barking, growling, Though she is nice to most dogs and very friendly to humans. she also pulls so much we have a good harness for her but she still pulls so much she has now turned 3 and I have tried to train her ever since. any advice on how I can train her? Thanks!
Info about her
name: Maggie
breed: Golden doodle
Hi there, I use “ Pet Corrector” with my two GSD’s bitches. Works like a charm. They’re both 20 months old and it’s hard to stop, handle the pack instinct they’ve had since birth. Pet corrector is a can of compressed air, comes in 3 different sized cans. When the dog acts out, press the can and it releases a short burst of air which distracts the dog. Read up about it online or pet supply store. It has worked100% with my girls. I can take them ANYWHERE now. I also don’t need to use the spray anymore as they’re conditioned now to behave. Good Behaviour means happy times.

I've leash trained dogs from chihuahuas to great Danes

Start with a normal collar and a longer leash. Enough so you can have a foot or so leash attached to the dog and have enough to cross your body and twirl in your other hand. Start with her setting next to you. Say heel as you're starting to walk and twirl the leash. As the leash comes tight and she's pulling ahead of your hip correct her with your word. (I us 'aaaght!' for correction..... NO! Is only for wrong. If my dog is figuring something out but doing it incorrectly.... my correction says not that way but you're not in trouble. Me saying NO! makes them come to heel and they don't do anything associated with whatever they were doing again in until their memory lapses)
Anyway, as she pulls tight or gets ahead of your acceptable heel distance, issue a correction and tap their heads with the leash. The twirling leash isn't going so fast as to hurt, just enough to be able to tap the dog with minor change in angle. Mind you, never break stride. Correct as you go. This adds surprise to your correction. Very effective

I've had people in awe because at one point my 3 and 4year old kids had an English springer on one leash and border collie on another leash walking them with us about 10-15' behind them.

As with anything dog. Consistency is key. Have to follow the rules every time. Slip once and you'll lose tons of progress. Get frustrated and give up without doing it properly, they will remember that and realize there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am currently turning my new puppy into a respectable dog. 15 weeks she knows sit, stay, here, lay down, sit up, heel, 'OK' (break from what I told her and do what she wants) roll over, dead bird (there's a grouse wing somewhere...... go find it), leave it.

Works in progress.... jumping up for attention/pets, begging for treats, harassing the cat.

Good luck!

Maggie seems to be leash reactive, don’t feel bad because my dog is too. Reactivity is a symptom of over arousal around a trigger, in your case these symptoms are barking and growling and the trigger is other dogs. The causes can either be aggression/dominance, fear or frustration. There are a ton of online resources that can help you learn exercises such as look at that and engage/disengage games. You need to understand her threshold (how far from the trigger before she goes into a full blown reactive episode), her triggers (we know it’s dogs, but any dogs specifically? Off leash dogs? Big dogs? Dogs that react back?) and what you’re doing to help manage these behaviours outside and inside. Please find a R+ trainer to help you with guidance if you’re truly lost. I specify R+ because aversive tools can help hide/correct the symptoms (barking and lunging) which dogs use to communicate their feelings with us instead of treating the underlying problem. It’s like taking painkillers for a broken leg instead of getting it splinted and in a cast.

Most importantly, be patient! Reactivity is an uphill journey in many experiences. Maggie is not trying to make your life harder, she just needs some extra help managing herself. Good luck!

so how big should the collar be? she is a 30lb dog
Big enough to go on easily but not fall off when she puts her head down to sniff the ground. Also, big enough so you can get it OFF without hurting her ears. Generally, measure around her neck and add 2". If that's not an even size, go up to the next even size. Some dogs have skinny necks and big, blocky heads. You need to be able to get it off her head without scraping her ears painfully.

A good correction is parallel to the ground, not up. Using your left hand, since the dog is on your left, grasp the leash or long line and give it a SNAP as if you are sharply shaking water out of a dishrag, swinging your hand from front to back. You can also imagine you are snapping water out of a paintbrush, if that helps. Don't be a wimp. The dog should know it's a correction. Better to give one or two really convincing corrections that focus your dog than 200 wimpy little nags that don't teach anything and just teach your dog to ignore you or, worse, resist. For best results, first move your hand forward, then snap it quickly back.

Back
Top Bottom