Dog Treats made from Chicken Poop?

Joel Just Joel

Songster
Jan 8, 2022
East Texas
So, both of our German shepherds love eating chicken poop even though it sometimes makes them ill. We discourage them from eating the stuff, but they do it anyway. What is it about chicken poop that makes dogs sick? If it's just live bacteria and there is no other harmful content, could we simply bake chicken poop and feed it safely to our dogs? Not sure the nutritional content is what a dog needs, but they love the stuff and it could make a delightful treat. And talk about being environmentally friendly! Any thoughts?
🐔💨💩🐕‍🦺🐕‍🦺

:sick
Yes dogs love chicken poop. That's no reason to put poop in your oven. It has never made my dogs sick other than ingesting straw along with it then they puke and its over. Make sure they're up to date on their vaccines and try to keep the chickens in an area where the dogs can't gobble their poop if possible. If I leave the run door open they will go in there and gorge themselves so one of my flocks gets let out occasionally for a couple hours before bed and that's it.

Bake it? Like in your oven in the kitchen? I can see some issues with that from a people's nose perspective as well as people safety and ewww factor.
I was thinking of using the oven at work so I don't mess up ours at home. Restaurant owner should not mind. 😂 Seriously, I'd probably set up a $20 toaster oven on the patio.
Logically, if chicken feed isn't very nutritious for dogs, I would think what is left after the chicken extracts the nutrients would be even less nutritious.
Now that I check the internet, at least one source says dogs may eat poop because they are not getting enough nutrients in their diet, including B vitamins or protein, and so they will seek it out however they can. Chicken droppings can help fill that void even if they don't contain huge amounts of nutrition. Folks also mention parasites as a potential problem. Yep, baking should kill them, too, as long as the oven is hot enough. Spinoff idea: before baking, I may roll out the poop in sheets and cut it into shapes with little cookie cutters. What a fun project this will be! I'm so glad we moved from the city to the country several years ago. People would look at me like I was strange if I played with chicken poop in the city.

People would look at me like I was strange if I played with chicken poop in the city.
Confused Little Girl GIF

Umm...all people are going to look at you like you're strange for playing with and baking chicken poop, regardless of your location. I would not intentionally feed my dog feces.

Trust me, there's many of us out in the country that will look at you like you're strange for playing with poop. :sick

If you are serious (can't really tell cause it's hard to read tone in text and this day and age I wouldn't put anything past people) you are better off finding a better food for your dogs. My dog could eat all the horse, goat, chicken, or duck poop he wanted but he doesn't touch it. He hasn't since he got past his puppy stage of putting everything in his mouth. He's not interested in it because he gets everything he needs from his food. I honestly don't think it tastes as good to dogs as people seem to think. It's just a lot of dogs don't get the best diets so it's kind of common.

No, definitely don't give your dogs chicken feces, or any feces for that matter. Literally anything is better. When I train my dog I just give him some of the portioned kibble he regularly eats. You don't need anything overly fancy (or gross) to make it work. If you need something slightly more high value, you can use chicken, hotdogs, or something like dehydrated minnows

Back
Top Bottom