Dog tried to kill hen she's hurt please help

šŸ˜¢ I just got back from the store to find my Germin Sheppard/Marrema on top of Roadie 1 of my 2 pet road island red hen sisters, the other one dead!!. So I grabbed up my chicken wrapped her in my coat and now sitting in front of the heater with her. She's in shock. She's hurt and very quiet and scared.(not like her personality at all). She has a wound on her back between her wings where the dog ripped out her feathers. That's all I've seen so far cause I don't want to make her hurt anymore then she is already. Any advice at all I'm desperate for please cause I don't know what to do but I don't want her to die. Please help

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_214733575.jpg
    IMG_20220918_214733575.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220918_214751826.jpg
    IMG_20220918_214751826.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 6
It is worse then I thought I've got more pictures.... Why do her eyes keep doing that? I'm scared for her and so mad at my dang dog I could spit on her and leave her outside forever! She did that because she knows how important those 2 chicken were to me and I wouldn't let her go to the store with me! She's my dog-child and a vindictive one it seems, but now I'm so upset! Someone please tell me if Roadie is dying right now? Underneath her right wing there is no feathers and all the way to the center of her back. It seems to me that the right side of her neck from her vent by her face down past her breast only on r right is swollen. I'm so sorry it's so late right now and I understand why I'm not getting a response from anyone due to the time! She is a very strong chicken so I'm praying she will make it through the night and into tomorrow so I can get some advice on how to keep her okay and alive until she's healed! Am I supposed to try to keep her awake while she's in shock to
IMG_20220918_234116083.jpg
IMG_20220918_234050960.jpg
IMG_20220918_214733575.jpg
keep her alive? That's what my husband said but he don't know anything for sure either.......... IMG_20220918_234224700.jpg

If you can clip the feathers back from the wounds so we can see how bad the wounds are would help. And clipping the feathers back will also help you clean and take care of the wound better.
It can take a while for shock to wear off so keeping her in a quiet area with water and food is a good idea. Don't worry if you don't see her eat. They won't when in shock.
Wash the wounds in warm saline [salty water] you can use triple antibiotic on the wounds but please try and get her cleaned up and pictures of the wounds.
Very sorry for your loss. Hopefully the one left alive will recover. šŸ™

Thank you so much lady's. Sorry I work tell night so I do my thing once I get home so I'm a night owl but I appreciate your replies I am just getting ready to bathe her in a tub of salty water like warm water with iodine in it. Any reason why I shouldn't? Last night I just rinsed it with water and then gooped on the triple antibiotic ointment and let her be. I figured that if she wasn't going to make it through the night there was no need in making her suffer with huge amounts of pain right before she passed, and that if she made it through the night then I would clean her really good today so that's my plan. I thought that maybe if I can get her whole body clean she might feel fresh and a little better once she's dried and Doctored up. any reason why I shouldn't? I'll do it in 10 minutes and just see if anybody replies I doubt you will because of the time but it's worth a shot.

I agree with others suggestions of clipping feathers back from wounds and clean them thoroughly. Saline and iodine will work fine, I've never had to deal with injuries like this but I've taken some notes. The first cleaning should be the most vigorous to make sure you clean out as much bacteria from the wounds as possible being that the dogs mouth is not very clean. You will need to clean the wounds daily, most people will rinse the wounds daily with saline or iodine/water solution using a syringe and paper towels and apply vetericyn spray and an antibiotic ointment each time. In other posts, birds have been less mobile and lower than normal appetite for up to a week and im not sure if that's from pain or conserving energy to recover but I feel like that note in behavior change is worth mentioning cause it seems to happen so often. To help with decreased appetite offer anything your hen likes, some food is better than no food, scrambled or raw eggs, tuna, fruits and veggies, regular feed mixed with water to make a wet mash and of course offer her dry feed and water at all times. Getting her antibiotics to take orally would also be a good idea but I don't know what would be best to give nor the proper dosage so hopefully someone will come along with suggestions there. I wouldn't put too much blame on your dog, I don't believe there was any ill intent on the dogs part but for future reference it's important to contain your birds safely when you aren't home. I had a neighbor with chickens growing up and they always liked to fly over my fence and my dog just wanted to play with them but my dog didn't know how to do that gently, luckily none of the neighbors chickens were ever injured but my point is your dog may have been trying to play and it got out of hand. Good luck with you hen, hope she makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom