Dog w/ sensitive feet, anal discharge???

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
Our dog, has had sensitive back paws for a while. We wipe his feet with a towel (for the white carpet's sake) before he comes in from outside, and he sometimes kicks when we wipe his hind paws.

But just today something really strange started happening - he would be walking around and suddenly his back legs would jerk out, like he was kicking, and sometimes he would fall onto his bottom. Then, when he was jumping off the porch steps like he always does, his legs kind of twisted and he almost fell but caught himself just in time.

So we were looking at his paws and suddenly (okay, this is really gross) liquid kind of shot out of his bottom. I'm guessing it's his anal glands leaking. I think it happened a couple of times.

The thing is, he's never had either of these problems before, and for him to have them both on the same day is very strange. Are they connected? Has anyone ever had these problems before?

Last edited:
I'm sorry but that sounds like a definite vet case.

Couple of random thoughts. Could be a congenital defect in his spine causing possibly closure, or not enough growth, of one of the holes in the vertebra that lets the nerves through, so spasming could occur. Weakness would be more likely in that case though, and creeping paralysis.

It could be something wrong in his brain that's affecting his nerves, damage, or swelling, or a tumor, or a viral issue, or even toxicity if he's finding lead somewhere or something like that. Paralysis in dogs usually begins at the hindquarters. Loss of control over his bowels or other sphincters would also be a symptom of that.

Since it's triggered when you lift his feet to a certain angle, it may be nerve damage from a spinal injury. It's not uncommon for that to happen. Someone rammed my dog with a car, after pretending to allow her to cross the road (she had very good road sense) and the next day she was stuck in a shuddering arched-back pose, in lots of pain. The shuddering and motion-triggered issues make me think perhaps he's got some nerve damage to the lower spine.

I hope it's nothing as dire as I've theorized it might be. Hope he's ok.

I agree that he needs to see a vet sooner rather than later. It sounds neurological, and he will have to have a full neuro exam to help determine the cause. I hope everything turns out ok, but do keep us updated with what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom