Dog with an ear ache

addiedunn

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Martinsville, IN
Normally, when my boy has an ear problem we take him to the vet. As much as we love our vet, we just can't afford to go right now. I'm laid off and DH is working out his final few weeks before a plant closing, then he will be.
Does anybody have a good home remedy for my baby? (he's the black one)
smile.png

Ear aches suck.
IMG_3964.jpg

earaches in dogs are usually caused by ear mites. The best treatment for that is some campo phnique deizzled down into his ear. Hold him still for a little while to let it run down into the ear. Then stand back because when he shakes his head it will go everywhere. You can also put some liquid oragel type stuff with it to help kill the pain.

MIne gets ear aches and most of the time it is an ear infection. I keep meds on hand to use when it starts hurting them again. I just had to start using it on one of mine. Could you just call your vet and see if they could gove you some meds for the dog?
Chris

Blue Power Ear Wash Recipe INGREDIENTS:

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol

4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

*16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

Shake this solution every time you use it to mix the Boric Acid Powder. Either a baby ear syringe or a plastic squirt bottle work well for putting the solution in the ear.

I mix alcohol and white vinegar equal parts and pour in 3 times a day. works great for me. My son used to raise dogs and that's what he always used. DH wears hearing aids and sometimes his ear gets to itching really bad so i use it on him to. Sorry, its cheaper than the dr, who office visit I noticed last time I was billed is now $173.00 for a 5 min visit,
barnie.gif
marrie

Blue Power Ear Wash Recipe INGREDIENTS:

16 Oz. Isopropyl Alcohol

4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

*16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.

Shake this solution every time you use it to mix the Boric Acid Powder. Either a baby ear syringe or a plastic squirt bottle work well for putting the solution in the ear.

I've seen this recipe around on dog forums. Just be careful, because when the dog shakes his head he'll spray blue around! At least that's what I've read I have never tried the recipe myself.

Edited to add: Here's a website with some good dog earache info and another recipe involving alcohol and boric acid:

http://www.seefido.com/canine-dog-health/html/dog_ear_infection_types.htm

Also, if you have a good relationship with your vet, and you've gone to them for a while, I wonder if they would help you out at all by at least giving you some advice over the phone, or maybe an inexpensive topical medicine to try in the ears to see if it would work, without an appointment? Vets must be running into this situation with old clients having trouble in this economy all the time nowadays...​

Last edited:
Another addition in case it helps (I'm a sucker for ailing dogs anyways and the cute pic you posted really got me). I just remembered that First State Vet Supply, the poultry med supplier, sells Otomax, a med commonly used for doggy ear infections. It's $16.95.

http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=194

I bought it for my chickens - the guy at First State recommends it for vent gleet. I won't go into details as to what I had to do with it.....

Good luck!

Quote:
...and I won't ask...yeah, he's a hugger and he was starting to feel bad the other day when I took this pic.

Thanks everyone. I'm a little leery about the blue stuff. I'll read the links you all sent and thanks for all of the great help. I have the olive oil on hand now so I'll try that. Will the feed store have the violet solution, should I try?
The vinegar mix probably shouldn't hurt. I should have known vinegar...it seems to be good for everything.

Back
Top Bottom