Dog with fleas

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dutchgirl, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Sammie, our Standard poodle, has somehow acquired fleas despite the Frontline we put on him. He is absolutely crawling with them! We bought flea shampoo and bathed him with it, but he still has them. Any suggestions?

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Get some Comfortis. It is a pill you get from the vet. It works in just hours and keeps fleas gone for 6 to 8 weeks.

3. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    I had the same problem with mine - after years of frontline which I had always heard was the best - I started having horrible flea problems. Switched to Advantage and now flea free [​IMG] (but I do have to watch for ticks) good luck!

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    is there a place he goes that he is getting them? I've heard problems of some bugs becoming immune to frontline (think it was frontline)

you'll have to be sure to treat your house as well. and then retreat in 7 days. Be sure to treat all of his bedding, any place he goes outside and his yard too.

5. Annie84

Annie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    When your dog has fleas, in addition to treating the dog, you must also treat your yard, house, and possibly car, if he's been in it. Anywhere the dog has been or goes needs to be treated, or else, you may kill the fleas on the dog, but then the dog will just get them again from the environment. If you only treat the animals, you will never get rid of all the fleas.

6. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    The drops used for flea control work on the concept that when the animal is bitten by the flea for the blood meal it will also get the substance from the product that will cause deformed or inhibit good egg shell growth of the flea egg. Causing it to die. Hence get rid of fleas as they can't hatch viable baby flea offspring. It's a longer process. In essence if you treat the premise for the current population that are living off of your pets and whatever else they find in your carpets, under the couch etc the population of adult fleas is reduced and if you treat as directed with another premise spray 10 days later and keep using the topical on the pet you will eventually not have fleas in the home.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  7. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Dont forget to change out the vacuum cleanner bag if you have one, the fleas can hide out in there too!

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    when you stick with the same flea control for a long time, some get resistance, and just keep laying eggs with the same resistance.
    comfortis works for us now, but we will eventually have to switch back to advantage or frontline and hope it will work on the new comfortis resistant fleas.
    it is just like antibiotics. all it takes is overuse and time.

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I like to avoid chemicals as much as possible with our dogs. We give them garlic every other day and spray them and their bed with ACV and lavender extract. Haven't had a problem yet! [​IMG] Of course if you already have an outbreak it wouldn't be very effective, but it's awesome for prevention!

10. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    GET COMFORTIS!!! it's the best flea remedy out there! You buy it at your vets office, its not expensive at all we have a 45 lbs boxer and its only $14 a month! Our friend has a 90 lbs boxer and it only cost $16 for his! Its the best!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by