Doggie sous-chef.

True Grit

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Orono, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I was sauteing chopped up veggies in olive oil to make soup, needed some more oil so grabbed the bottle right beside the stove, undid the cap and dropped it. Where did it land? Right on the dog's back. She was standing between me and the stove. I have to lean over her to cook. If I go to the sink I have to lean way over her prostrate body to get to the faucet. Apparently she's in two places at once. She's not a very good sous-chef.

One of the first phrases my dogs learn is "get out of the kitchen". They pretty quickly learn this series of sounds means they have to retreat to the dining room and can only stick their heads in further to see what I'm up to....

Quote:
Me too. Pets are not allowed in the kitchen when meals are prepared or eaten. I am not going to carry a pan full of boiling water or oil while maneuvering around a dog. I kept my friend's dogs one time, and they didn't know that rule. What a headache trying to cook around these little ankle biters. Anyway, True Grit, sorry about the spill. I imagine that was not a fun mess to clean up, especially off fur.

I'm probably gonna start trouble, but there are no pets allowed in the house, period. AND, we won't eat at anyone's house that has a dog or cat in it.

Ok, go for it, I've heard it all before!

Quote:
Why?
Notice I am not judging... just curious.
hide.gif

Also, does that include aquarium fish?
frow.gif

My animals stay out of the kitchen fairly naturally. It's too busy for them, and the floor is slippery. There is one exception. Our oldest cat will try to climb your leg like a tree if you are making boxed Mac and Cheese. Broiled salmon? Pan fried trout? No response. But cheap cheesy macaroni, and she's all over that.

Since I managed to purchase a house where the back door is off the kitchen, I've had to modify my 'No animals in the kitchen' rule. I have since placed a mat on one side of the kitchen (out of my way) and if anyone is allowed loose (I am a firm believer that a crate is a dog's best friend lol), they have to stay on the matt or they are sent to their crates or the kennel out back.

FWIW, fuzziebutt, I actually understand your thinking as well. I have seen some pretty gross stuff. I think the worst was cat hair in someone's ice trays - still in the freezer! Just because their are animals in my home does not mean everyone should be able to tell when they: 1) see my clothes out in public, 2) deal with hair/fur/feathers in food. I am a raving lunatic with a vacuum cleaner.
smile.png

Yeah sometimes I kick them out and sometimes I just forget they're there. If anyone is coming over the dogs are on lock down in the "garden level". I actually would prefer to find a dog hair in my food than a person hair. I don't know why.

Yep..no dogs or cats in kitchen rule here too. Even the 14 week old border collie knows that rule! It doesnt take long or much effort to teach... just a sharp Tssst! sound and "stay out of the kitchen!" with a hand held up is all it takes.
No way I am going to trip over a dog with a hot pan in my hand OR have them learn to brouse kitchen counters for a pie or whatever.
The ONLY exception to this I allow is IF I spill something or drop food on the floor I call Rosie (JRT) " Rosie! clean up on isle 4! " she cleans it up and goes back to the couch
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom