Dogs Dogs Dogs

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
I am so tired of neighbors who don't take care of their dogs - but I found out who they are! Animal Control has been contacted with the name, address, and pictures. My chickens in my yard should be safe from darned dogs!

Backing up, I have lost 6 chickens over the last several weeks to three dogs. Yesterday one of my light Brahma pullets died in my arms after rescuing it from one of the dogs. Another pullet, a dark Brahma, was able to elude another dog, running between it's legs to get to safety. He didn't have a mark on him and has now been named Lucky. I chased the dogs away, ready to strangle them with my bare hands.

I went on a walk yesterday and finally, with the help of some other neighbors, found where the dogs live. I started to go up to their house, but was met by their rather large pit bull (the one who killed my light Brahma), so I decided to give Animal Control a chance. Of course, they were closed yesterday, but I e-mailed all the information to them and will call them this morning. I have several documented calls/e-mails to them over these same dogs but until yesterday couldn't find where they live - that's because they live on the next street over!

Let's hope Animal Control can fix my problem. Until then, my poor chickens are crowded in their pens, very unhappy, but safe.

Total casualties from these three dogs - three dark Brahma youngsters, two light Brahma youngsters, and one lavendar orpington roo.

Wow...so glad you found the owners. Now let's hope the proper "authorities" will do something about it
hmm.png
Will they notify you of the consequences, or are you out of the loop now??? Sorry you lost so many birds
sad.png

I'm not sure if they will notify me, but I will be calling them repeatedly. If that doesn't work ... sss, sss, sss. I will protect my flock!

I hope it works out for you. It must be so frustrating knowing your flock is unsafe because of another person's irresponsibility. Sorry for your losses. Hopefully there won't be anymore.

Good luck in your upcoming legal battle.

Heart breaking.
Your birds should not have had to suffer the terror and pain inflicted upon them due to human irresponsibility.
It's also a shame about lockdown but sadly the only choice till a pred can no longer access the birds; when a pred has taken even a single bird it will come back for seconds (and thirds, and fourths, and...).
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

There are some great threads on this website re: dog attacks (search horsejody, for example) and how to try to ensure that the dog's people pay the maximum allowable and therefore hopefully learn to not allow a repeat incident. Everyone's effort in this regard can help change the paradigm - awakening more dog owners to the fact that they actually have a predator on their hands, and that even though Fido is all snuggles with them, he or she can morph into killing machine when prey is around. We have to vastly increase awareness and personal responsibility in this regard - until then countless birds will continue to meet agonizing ends.
All power to you in this - please keep us posted.
JJ

Quote:
SSS might be the best action to take in this case. But be sure your shot is a kill shot. If not you may be liable for the vet bill. If the dog just comes up missing, who is to say what happened to it. With three dogs, you may have to do this three times, unless you are quick on the trigger. Around here there are very few dogs allowed on the property. Any strange dog after my critters does not leave. They are send to doggy heaven.

I have found a paintball gun works well. The neighbors boxer gets "marked" (blue is my prefrence). When the owner comes down to "voice their concerns about their dog being shot with a paintball" I politely inform them that dogs that kill or harrass livestock are marked for euthanasia if I call Animal Control and my blue paint lets you know what they have been doing out of your site - like they should have been. I am a dog trainer as well, so this is fun for me. I also inform them, I could have used the 207, but chose the paint ball gun instead so they didnt loose their pet.

I usually loose chickens to hawks and possoms ,Monday morning just before daylight I lost 3 full grown boer goats to dogs , I dropped 1 of them in the act and followed the other 1 home ( his home 3 miles from my place ) got the people riled up but I got their name and address and started leagel proceedings against them . If you are having dog problems and know who they belong to there is a lawer that will take your case without charge for ½ of what ever they can sue them for , but get pics lots and lots of pics .

Just sit out with your chickens with a shot gun in hand. Just like hunters using a bait pile to attract deer.

Your are in your rights. Don't mess around. Once word gets out that a crazy chicken person with a shot gun killing any dog on their property you might not see anymore more dogs around.

Best of luck.

I hope it works out for you. In my neck of the woods any stock killing animal would be put down no questions asked. Short of that you could buy a Pellet gut and shot them in the butt when you see them but once a dog tastes blood you it is almost impossible to get them to stop. animal control should handel it but keep on them. You could also notify the police and press charges they are responsible for those dogs.

Back
Top Bottom