Dogs eating chicken poo

Willem81

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Thornton, Co
I know this is only half way chicken related and will probably get a bump to move this to the "other animals section"

My dogs have been eating chicken poo and I had to give wormer to the dogs once already. Well this morning had the same thing happen again. Dog made a nasty mess in his kennel.
sickbyc.gif

Any ideas on how to get the dogs to leave the poo alone beyond completely fencing off the part of the yard I want the chickens in?

Can dogs pick up any other bugs from the chickens beyond worms?

If I wormed two weeks ago and the dog got better from the treatment and is now sick again require another round of the worming meds?

Seems like the meds should have kept him healthy for a bit longer than two weeks.
rant.gif
he.gif

Any help is much appreciated.

My dog eats chicken poo and there's nothing I can do about it. It's disgusting, but dogs don't judge poo as bad, like we do. Since I feed my chickens and peas nothing but organic feed, plus they get bugs, fresh grass, etc., there doesn't seem to be a problem with it. I keep the flock and the dog's immune systems strong and healthy and their systems can take care of anything that comes around trying to afflict them.

If your chickens are not healthy, then it's probably best to concentrate on their health first, then your dog won't have a problem. But trying to keep the dog from eating their poo is like trying to prevent a chocolate freak from eating a handmade truffle.

Yes, best to worm your chickens first, then follow up 10 days later to get the hatchlings. When that clears up, worm the dogs, then again in 10 days as with the chickens. By the way, ya know why dogs eat chicken poo? To get the taste of their butt outta their mouth, LOL. Think about that next time one licks you in the mouth...........Pop

Last edited:
We often take our boxer to the "lake side park". It has a little pond occupied with ducks and geese with a walking track around it, playground, baseball fields, ect... We will go walk around the track a few times to get some exercise in. My dog will eat every fresh duck/goose poo that we walk by if I let him. Don't know why... I don't have my chickens yet so I don't know if he has an affinity for chicken poo or not. I guess time will tell...

You need to watch out for Coccidiosis. Thats probably even more important than the worms. All chickens carry Cocci, but most dont get sick bc they have built a resitance to it. If your dogs are near chickens at any time, not just eating the poo, they should be treated regularly. But worm as well.

I dont know of a way to stop them, it seems like it is a delicacy for them.
sickbyc.gif
Try leashing, bringing them out there, and teaching them the "leave it" command. It might take a while, but they should catch on eventually and when you let them out and yell "LEAVE IT!!" the door, hopefullly they will listen.
yippiechickie.gif

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom