Dogs hiking legs and marking in the house šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

One of a few reasons I'll only have female dogs. I've been wanting to get a puppy since my old female died in December 2 days after Christmas but it's hard to find females in the breed I want

One of a few reasons I'll only have female dogs. I've been wanting to get a puppy since my old female died in December 2 days after Christmas but it's hard to find females in the breed I want
These were only intact males Iā€™ve ever had because they were hunting dogsā€¦..intact females can have their own issues and my English bulldog (spayed female) wouldnā€™t crate train and has her own issues as well.

at least dog urine is apparent. I hate hate cat piss. Oh goodness I'll get a divorce over cat piss. Won't have it I donā€™t care it ain't up for discussion. Them mf'ers are out. Oh well it's been fun, but nope

These were only intact males Iā€™ve ever had because they were hunting dogsā€¦..intact females can have their own issues and my English bulldog (spayed female) wouldnā€™t crate train and has her own issues as well.
Man I don't know what to do about that. With them being so old hhhhhmmm....

So I have 2 intact male mountain feist (hunting dogs) that are 8 years old. They were kept outside for first 2-3 years and made indoor pets.
They have a doggie door and are crate trained for nighttime but the marking keeps getting worse! :barnie If any item (bag, box, etc) is new, they will hike their leg on it. Dishwasher, cabinets, walls, entertainment center etc are all favorite spots as well. Iā€™ve tried nearly everything that I know of to break them but Iā€™m at my wits end cleaning up after them sometimes 2-3x every day now! Any advice from others is welcomed!

We used to have a mountain feist :)
As I'm sure you already know, the problem is that they have been inadvertently allowed to continue doing so, and it's very difficult to cure once it becomes an ingrained habit. The only way I know to retrain an older not housebroken dog is to start all the way back at the beginning as if it were a puppy and watch the dog every second when it is indoors, or even better tether them to you.
By now their scent is everywhere, you probably can't smell it, but they can which makes things ever more difficult. I assume you're using an enzyme cleaner? I also love Odoban Eucalyptus for cleaning up after dogs.
Can you block off a small area just inside where the doggie door is with an X-pen or something? At least that way they wouldn't have access to the whole house and would be more likely to go out to pee.

Man I don't know what to do about that. With them being so old hhhhhmmm....
Mr muddy is currently doing doggie bathsā€¦ā€¦fleas have been horrible this summer too! The boys can reach and scratch them but poor tater with her t-Rex legs canā€™t do much :th

We used to have a mountain feist :)
As I'm sure you already know, the problem is that they have been inadvertently allowed to continue doing so, and it's very difficult to cure once it becomes an ingrained habit. The only way I know to retrain an older not housebroken dog is to start all the way back at the beginning as if it were a puppy and watch the dog every second when it is indoors, or even better tether them to you.
By now their scent is everywhere, you probably can't smell it, but they can which makes things ever more difficult. I assume you're using an enzyme cleaner? I also love Odoban Eucalyptus for cleaning up after dogs.
Can you block off a small area just inside where the doggie door is with an X-pen or something? At least that way they wouldn't have access to the whole house and would be more likely to go out to pee.
We keep doors closed to all the bedrooms and bathrooms as much as possible and Iā€™ve used enzyme and traditional cleaners but havenā€™t tried that brand. Theyā€™re pretty sneaky about it while weā€™re home and not much way to confine them near doggie door in our cracker box house.

Gotcha. BTDT with some toy dogs I've had over the years, it's not easy. If you can't confine them, the belly bands won't work in your situation and you don't want to make them stay outside.... I got nothing else, sorry!
Do you have a picture of the little rascals, I'd love to see them :)

Back
Top Bottom