Dogs Protecting Chickens

Some dogs are just fine with chickens or other birds from day one, no training. Others will never understand, that's my opinion.

We had a English springer spaniel and she was not a normal hyper dog ever. She always just ignored the chickens after her first sniff. She never bothered to slow down going through the flock but she also never chased or even acknowledged them.

Our blue heeler is somewhat helpful, even though she's untrained. I once had a button quail escape and fly to the other side of the yard. She was on it in a heartbeat. She brought it back to me without a feather ruffled and dropped it at my feet. I've also seen her stand over new hatched chicks that wandered off from their mom. She went to grab the chick but I freaked out and yelled her name. Thinking about it afterwards I'm pretty sure she was going to bring the chick to me, not attempt to hurt it. If the chickens are gathered near the back steps when she's wanting inside the dog door she will patiently wait until they move aside. BUT I have seen a rooster attack her and she will snap back at him. She doesn't protect them or round them up, they are just there and a part of her family.

The springer passed away from old age recently and we got a border collie/kelpie mix. I thought long and hard about what type of dog to get. I did not want a hunting dog (or rodent killer type/terrier), but would have considered a gun dog because the spaniel was so good. I preferred a herd type because guardians in SW fl would be just cruel imho with most being long haired. The BC mix was the right dog at the right time. He's been pretty good so far and I trust him after only 2 weeks. His first few days he would chase the toddler sized chicks and would smile when the big chickens scattered, I would reprimand him and he caught on quickly. Now he slows down when coming through the chickens and he ignores the little ones, even newborns with their broody mom. He's spent time outside alone with the chickens and chicks and I have not lost any. We'll see how the grows up since he's only 3.5 months old now but I suspect he's going to be a great dog.

My mom's dog on the other hand... She has a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. That little runt wont leave chickens alone. I'd never trust her to be outside alone with my birds.

I have a cat who will not mess with the newborn chicks, even ones I incubated who have no mom to protect them. I even found her guarding a little once who missed getting put back in the coop. It was dark outside and I kept hearing a loud peeping not from the coop. When I finally followed it down I found the chick standing next to the cat, who was laying down. Sootie was just sitting there keeping the chick company. My cat keeps the other cats away... mostly, some have slipped by her and got some of my chickens.

I let my dogs have leashed visits with the chickens and ducks. One could care less about their presence and wants to see what I am going to do (play frisbee, give her treats, take a walk, etc). The other one was so scared, she didn't want to look at the birds and went to the farthest position she could while being leashed opposite of them.
They are lab mixed and golden retriever mixed (respectively). I am actually more concerned about the scared dog than the one that just wants to have fun. But, I am still leary of both.
I probably should have done all of this when I first got the birds, but how do you know when to let them off leash to be close to the birds and not be afraid they are just going to chomp them?
They know commands, but we've never had to use them within a real experience just training really.

Well that’s a good question and I encourage others to comment as well. I had the advantage to start introducing my 18 month old dog to my chics from day one. I showed her my little chirping package of joy after in the brooder. So a confined safe place for the birds. Your dog must know and be reliable with commands even with distractions. So practicing while leashed is good. Do they follow your commands if too close to back up by the word “back, Leave it, or stop” reliably. Will they be quiet and not bark at the birds or give chase?

I treated my dog each time she followed the commands to commit to memory with treats and praise saying good girl Chloe and repeated the one word command so she knows she did well what I asked. I let her sit in while I cleaned the brooder and when netting off I found she would nose a little at them only when they perched on side of box and came closer as if to jump or fly off. They would hop back in brooder or stay on side to perch. She came out with me when I checked on them and released to my chic house the chics with chics fenced. I give her commands and I don’t start till she listens.

The first time the flock free ranged. I had a support person and leash to intervene quickly if needed. She has never tried to attack my chics. She has sniffed them and if she is too close my girls will peck her gently to tell her and I will instruct back. She will back up.

My dog was professionally trained with me for basic commands before all this. If your dogs do not know basic commands and follow reliably, I probably wouldn’t do it till then. It was a gradual process with safe guards and a lot of interaction watching behavior first with barriers. My dog showed me she can listen and follow my commands. She knows to be gentle and quiet so the chics are not skittish.

That said I know my dog likes to get into the feeders and waterers a little if I set in yard while cleaning so Chloe is on a gated deck watching while cleaning. She is only allowed out with me when I can have total attention on them. Chloe is only 18 months but shows a caring protective quality with my chics. She would sit in and watch while chics in brooder and not want to leave. I do not let her alone with my chics as a safety measure. She truly enjoys my small flock and is very protective. She has scared off several predators. The fact that they are close together helped by the fact that they were raised together as well.

You will notice signs that your dog is ready!

3 out of 4 of our Great Pyrenees (trained as LGD for our goats & sheep) took minimal correction to stop chewing on chickens when we began to introduce them to the flock. The 4th will still chase and chew on chickens if we give her the chance. The other 3 are wonderful with the chickens. Hoping the 4th will follow suit soon

3 out of 4 of our Great Pyrenees (trained as LGD for our goats & sheep) took minimal correction to stop chewing on chickens when we began to introduce them to the flock. The 4th will still chase and chew on chickens if we give her the chance. The other 3 are wonderful with the chickens. Hoping the 4th will follow suit soon

Oh my god! Don’t let them chew on chickens. Hope the chickens are ok.

Well that’s a good question and I encourage others to comment as well. I had the advantage to start introducing my 18 month old dog to my chics from day one. I showed her my little chirping package of joy after in the brooder. So a confined safe place for the birds. Your dog must know and be reliable with commands even with distractions. So practicing while leashed is good. Do they follow your commands if too close to back up by the word “back, Leave it, or stop” reliably. Will they be quiet and not bark at the birds or give chase?

I treated my dog each time she followed the commands to commit to memory with treats and praise saying good girl Chloe and repeated the one word command so she knows she did well what I asked. I let her sit in while I cleaned the brooder and when netting off I found she would nose a little at them only when they perched on side of box and came closer as if to jump or fly off. They would hop back in brooder or stay on side to perch. She came out with me when I checked on them and released to my chic house the chics with chics fenced. I give her commands and I don’t start till she listens.

The first time the flock free ranged. I had a support person and leash to intervene quickly if needed. She has never tried to attack my chics. She has sniffed them and if she is too close my girls will peck her gently to tell her and I will instruct back. She will back up.

My dog was professionally trained with me for basic commands before all this. If your dogs do not know basic commands and follow reliably, I probably wouldn’t do it till then. It was a gradual process with safe guards and a lot of interaction watching behavior first with barriers. My dog showed me she can listen and follow my commands. She knows to be gentle and quiet so the chics are not skittish.

That said I know my dog likes to get into the feeders and waterers a little if I set in yard while cleaning so Chloe is on a gated deck watching while cleaning. She is only allowed out with me when I can have total attention on them. Chloe is only 18 months but shows a caring protective quality with my chics. She would sit in and watch while chics in brooder and not want to leave. I do not let her alone with my chics as a safety measure. She truly enjoys my small flock and is very protective. She has scared off several predators. The fact that they are close together helped by the fact that they were raised together as well.

You will notice signs that your dog is ready!
I took my dog to an obedience course when she was much younger. She is well trained. She is also 3 yrs old now. So, we have had lots of time to work with her.
The younger one is 2 and I just used what I learned the first go around with her. She is well trained too.
I trust myself - not sure about my helper (my hubby) - as he isn't always the best listener. :D I am still leary in regards to dogs and birds. My fears are probably what holds me back not the dogs per say. But, they are both bird dogs with regards to their breed. I guess that is where my worry lies. Will instincts override human commands?

Oh my god! Don’t let them chew on chickens. Hope the chickens are ok.

We try not to, but occasionally a chicken will jump the fence to the front pasture (where our less-disciplined GP is) and get cornered.

The first time a chicken got chewed on i panicked and thought they had killed one of my favorite hens, but she perked up after carrying her away from the dogs and a giving her a little TLC. (More details on that incident: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-puppies-attacked-new-hen-pictures.1226963/)

After that first and worst incident, canine correction, and patient training, 3 of our dogs won’t bother the chickens anymore (we sold most of the puppies). The 4th is our problem child, she still chews if left alone with chickens...but only lightly. Now her victims only lose a few tail feathers, as opposed to the flesh wounds inflicted in earlier incidents :( That being said we do not leave her alone with our birds, but occasionally a chicken strays from the safety of the back pasture.

It ruins my day when she gets ahold of a chicken (along with her’s and the chicken’s day), but she really is making progress. She is still only 9mo old, and once her playfullness subsides we hope she’ll make a trustworthy chicken guardian like the rest of the pack.

On a side note: Just walked outside and found her brother (also 9mo old) calmy watching over our posse of 3month old chickens. He seems more attached to the birds than he does to our goats and sheep!

DA467D95-43B4-48A2-A049-6AC87AF53D5F.jpeg
CDDB2831-6707-40AA-8074-AB957F0AAB23.jpeg

*had to brag on him; we are so proud of what a good flock guardian he has become :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom