Dogs...

We were away from home for about 2 hours this evening, and returned to find 2 hunting dogs in our driveway and 7 dead chickens. 5 more are still missing, we searched for an hour before it got dark, and another is injured pretty badly but still alive. I’m not sure if she’ll make it or not. That leaves us with 3 hens, 3 pullets, and a rooster that all appear ok, and the 10 chicks in the brooder that they didn’t manage to get into.
We know who’s dogs it was. They’re our neighbors a little over a mile away, and the owners of the store in our small town. We confronted them tonight, and they laughed us off. They don’t understand that these chickens are basically our pets. We love them. We’re devastated.
Does anybody have any experience dealing with something like this? What can we do?
We’re already taking measures to keep the rest of our chickens safe. They have a secure pen that they will not be leaving for the time being, though they’re normally free rangers. If we see those dogs on our property again they won’t be going home.
I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly. You have every right to that in my book. Especially... since they laughed you off. See if they laugh when they can’t find their hunting dogs. I would be furious with both situations. Probably more with the humans actually. Dogs are going to be dogs and do stupid dogs things and I still love dogs and always will but humans have no excuse. None whatsoever for not respecting another person’s property or opinion when it concerns their property on their own property for sure even more so. Jackasses for sure your neighbors and sound entitled even more so. Pull out your fire arm and dig a deep hole and cover it with something that doesn’t look like a hole was ever dug there or anything ever disturbed the environment and if anyone comes looking they won’t find those dogs. Let the place look like it hasn’t been disturbed in twenty years! Lol!

I'm so sorry you came home to this.

You have been given excellent advice. It is a shame the owners of the dogs laughed at you--especially if, as I understand what you wrote, they picked the dogs up as they ran away from your property! Sigh. Why some folks cannot exhibit a little basic kindness and respect for others...I love dogs, miss my own dearly (just looked down at his "spot" and got a little choked up, and he has been gone for nearly eight months now), but they need to be under the control of their owners...and the owners are responsible for their actions, particularly something like this.

Again, very sorry. Best of luck with the police and your local laws, and I hope this can be settled somehow amicably or at least peacefully. @centrarchid has the right idea--stay cool, calm, and collected; don't let emotion get the better of you.

Hopefully this will be resolved. I can't add anything that hasn't already been said and hopefully hitting them in the pocketbook, maybe they will get the message. There is another recent thread by a byc member that recently went through the same thing and she recovered the damages and then some. I know it won't make up for your losses but hopefully it will teach the dog owners a valuable lesson. Good luck...

We’re hoping to settle this without too much drama. I know by tomorrow the whole town will know what happened, and the owners do understand that if we see their dogs again they won’t. Livestock is big out here, though mostly cattle not chickens, so I’m sure they know the law is on our side. I just can’t believe how apathetic they are about it. We’ve lost over half our flock. My brother watched these dogs kill the only chick we were able to hatch from our new rooster, who‘s among the missing.
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. It is so hard losing birds in such a violent way. I hope things go well for you.

Ugh they even got into the coop. I’m just relieved that they weren’t able to get into the brooder, though they pulled the top off of it. I think they must have chased some chickens out because usually they’re in bed by 7:30, the pullets by 8. My older bantam rooster is always the first to bed, and luckily he’s ok. I think he would have been too scaredy to fight and that may have saved his life. My most affectionate hen made it out ok too, she usually goes to bed with the bantam roo.
I feel like I’m rambling a little bit but I'm still feeling pretty shaken.

Back
Top Bottom