Doin' The Chicken

Foghornn

Chirping
Jan 27, 2016
Baldy Mesa, CA
Living in the High Desert West of Victorville.

Started with 30 Reds in 2012. By 7 months, all got Marek's disease, and had to put em down.

Early Spring 2 years ago my neighbor brought me a wild chicken (possibly Welsummer) that tried to tangle with his German Sheppard.
She was pretty beat up and wouldn't come outside her box during the day. That lasted 3 weeks. Now she rules the roost.
That Spring I got a Hybrid Red, & 3 Leghorns. Last Spring, 2 Silver laced Wyandotts, 2 more Reds, & 2 Barred Rock.
A hawk killed 1 barred rock chick & 1 red chick, & I harvested a Leghorn.
They get fed on organic, non-gmo scratch & cracked corn (more than double the price of reg) and on meal-worms I raise. Built a 6H X 7X10ft coup for them.

So, I have 8 givin' me eggs (sometimes). The wild one gets broody & stops laying every few months. They like to wander over the acre yard and feed during the day, and put themselves away before dark.

6 months ago a lady gave me a Brahma Rooster ('Max'). At six months he looked as big as a Turkey. Now at 15 months, he's beating my hens to death. 2 are bloody & loosing feathers on the back, all have head wounds, and most hide all day. Had to separate Max today.
Any one want a brute of a Rooster. He's a beautiful bird. Really don't want to butcher him.
Name a fair price and he's yours. Come and get him.

Attachments

• MAX0208190849c.jpg
    MAX0208190849c.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom