Dominant Mallard bantam hen won't let Call drake breed her and attacks him when he breeds other hens.

When Do You Think The Mallard Hen Will Allow The Call Drake To Breed Her

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You likely have to seperate the drake, and re introduce them and hope the drake is dominant

• Possibly the Hen could be chosen as the drake's yearly favorite hen when pairings happen in the fall

• Total voters

AvianBrain

Chirping
May 27, 2020
My nearly three year old Mallard bantam still won't allow the blue fawn drake I introduce to them two weeks ago to breed any of the female ducks.
He breeds the mallard hen he came with, and attempts to force the rouen hen to copulate (this rouen is the absolute best friend of my dominant mallard hen)
The drake is about 8 months old, and i want to breed him to my grey mallard, to start a founding stock for pet quality blue fawn mallard bantams, but this hen is already 3 years old pretty much, so I do not want to waste too much time while her fertility is still good. Also this hen has not layed yet this year, and will likely start soon, will this likely change things? when the drake mounts a hen, the dominant hen comes over and bites him on the breast area and tugs on him, as if to pull him off the hen. she will intimdate him if she sees any sort of courtship body language out of him, but as of now he only seems to whistle at "his" young mallard hen(same age as him, 8 months) The dominant mallard will aggressively follow the drake and nip ant him when he tries to mount the rouen hen, if he gets to mount or not. She is generaly dominantly agressive to him, but is not this way to her favorite friend (the rouen) and is slightly less pushy of the young mallard hen.

Will this behavior likely change soon, when should I expect him to be able to actively breed all three duck hens, he as only been in the flock for two weeks, (they were quarrentined away from the flock) Should she be more receptive after she starts laying for the year, do I likely have to wait until during fall when hens choose new drakes? Will this just sort itself out in a few weeks-months once the call drake and his mallard hen are more established? Do I have to take him away and do the 10 days of seperation and do a re-inroduction and hope that time around he is dominant?

Also, If a blue fawn drake was bred to a snowy hen, would that still produce some blue fawn ducklings? or just greys that are het snowy?

Also thought I should mention that the rouen and dominant mallard do the sideways headbobbing to each other and also mount one another, is it possible the mallard is pushing away the call drake because socialy she has a "mate" for this season?

My nearly three year old Mallard bantam still won't allow the blue fawn drake I introduce to them two weeks ago to breed any of the female ducks.
He breeds the mallard hen he came with, and attempts to force the rouen hen to copulate (this rouen is the absolute best friend of my dominant mallard hen)
The drake is about 8 months old, and i want to breed him to my grey mallard, to start a founding stock for pet quality blue fawn mallard bantams, but this hen is already 3 years old pretty much, so I do not want to waste too much time while her fertility is still good. Also this hen has not layed yet this year, and will likely start soon, will this likely change things? when the drake mounts a hen, the dominant hen comes over and bites him on the breast area and tugs on him, as if to pull him off the hen. she will intimdate him if she sees any sort of courtship body language out of him, but as of now he only seems to whistle at "his" young mallard hen(same age as him, 8 months) The dominant mallard will aggressively follow the drake and nip ant him when he tries to mount the rouen hen, if he gets to mount or not. She is generaly dominantly agressive to him, but is not this way to her favorite friend (the rouen) and is slightly less pushy of the young mallard hen.

Will this behavior likely change soon, when should I expect him to be able to actively breed all three duck hens, he as only been in the flock for two weeks, (they were quarrentined away from the flock) Should she be more receptive after she starts laying for the year, do I likely have to wait until during fall when hens choose new drakes? Will this just sort itself out in a few weeks-months once the call drake and his mallard hen are more established? Do I have to take him away and do the 10 days of seperation and do a re-inroduction and hope that time around he is dominant?

Also, If a blue fawn drake was bred to a snowy hen, would that still produce some blue fawn ducklings? or just greys that are het snowy?
What is it they say about jealousy and envy.. Green eggs and ham. Dr. Sleuth

My flock has been integrated for a couple months now, but when breeding season started to kick into full gear my dominant hen wouldn't let my drake mount any of the other girls except for 1. If he tried, she would full out attack the hen under him. Now a month or so has gone by and everyone mounts eachother with no hard feelings. He has full rights to all his girls and the girls have full rights to eachother 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ 😂😂😂

My flock has been integrated for a couple months now, but when breeding season started to kick into full gear my dominant hen wouldn't let my drake mount any of the other girls except for 1. If he tried, she would full out attack the hen under him. Now a month or so has gone by and everyone mounts eachother with no hard feelings. He has full rights to all his girls and the girls have full rights to eachother 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ 😂😂😂
Thanks for the reply, hopefully things will sort themselves out over here soon. Funny to say yours attacked the hen, when my drake mounts the young mallard hen, the dominant mallard hen attacks the drake, and the rouen attacks the young hen! but this only happens in that combination.

Back
Top Bottom