Dominique Thread!

Exactly my point... American Dominiques and Black Javas were used to create Barred Rocks... you were the one who argued it was a Dominique game fowl and not an American Dominique.
But under stand that for every book that states that the American Dominique was used to create the Barred Plymouth Rock there is at least one that states it was not the American Dominique. [Even the American Standard of Perfection states that it was not the American Dominique]
There are a few publications that state that the Dominique used to create the Barred Plymouth Rock and the American Dominique was a breed of Gamefowl from the Dominica which is said to be similar to the Kentucky Dominique [Kentucky Dom] Gamefowl. This makes a lot of sense if one reads the Standard for both breeds and note the DQ's.

Chris

Been a LONG time since I've been on the BYC boards but I just wanted to pop in and say "Hi!"
frow.gif
and exclaim how much I LOVE my babies! Don't think I'll ever go back to another breed, Doms are def it for me. Hope everyone is doing well!

I have now cycled three of four hens through breeding cycles. All three effectively weaned chicks (hen quit clucking) about 3 weeks post-hatch. Two of the hens have commited to laying another set of eggs. Previous sets where started early to late July so the rapid breeding cycles coupled with late season laying will enable a fair amount of chick production even after bulk of egg production for season is past. This is where American dominiques should excell. A combination of fair egg and meat production as well as the ability to produce their own chicks late in season. I am starting to like these guys.

Four hens I selected as brood fowl for next year are still laying and two are near the point of setting a second time after July. Downside is they will commence a hard molt as temperatures drop to well below freezing if winter typical.

centrarchid can you post photos of your current brood stock? Would love to see how you've come along with them :)
I will try to do it today. The birds in various stages of molt and hens have pale legs from laying so hard. Better, more informative pictures will be made in January when molt complete. Birds with old sun-browned feathers and missing tail feathers can cause depression.

Edit adds images posted elsewhere prior to molt.

First two images of favorite cock bird based on feathering and comb. This was taken of him as bullstag last summer. He has a fertility issue so will be attempting to select for his looks but against low fertility in his offspring. During test matings this year his male offsrping look and grow well but not out of best dams. Selection for this guys kids will begin next year when bred to best hens. Cock feathering will have a lot more and longer sicle feathers. Comb still smooth and tight.

41527_vennie_lateralb.jpg

41527_vennie_lateral.jpg

Bull pullet trying to set second clutch after July. This image taken midsummer. Presently she looks like a pack of chihauhas caught her.

Two more cocks and three more hens made cut as well. I am only generation two into this so real advances not yet realized. Each hen will be used to found her own line that will not be allowed to go extinct. That will help conserve genetic variation long-term. Also will be employing family selections which is a beefed up version of what is called rolling matings. To get genes from one line to another, it will have to be through males only and such have to be extremely good.

Last edited:
Tag,

What a marathon..157 pages all in one sitting! I am getting too old for such things. :) My 7 y.o. daughter asked me about chickens here recently. Thing is we live in the city, local law states for my sq.ft. of land I can have up to 4 chickens. I have been looking into some of the old heritage breeds, RIR's and Dominique's caught my attention. My dad said that grandma used to keep Dominiker's, and they were always real good.

@Centrarchid,

I must admit your breeding program, and your birds, are very interesting! Do you sell 4 week old starters?

Gary

Back
Top Bottom