Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I just bought it! I am SO excited to read this. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    According to Barred Rock folks... BR's were created by crossing Doms and Black Javas. Here is a good comparison of Doms and BR's:

http://dominiquechicken.com/Dominiques_and_Barred_Rocks.html

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Wrong Dominique, Remember back then the term Dominique also meant a color/pattern.
    The Dominique that was used to create the Barred Rock was a Single Comb Breed that most likely a game breed.

Chris

4. TexasWolf

TexasWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

what?

5. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I have10 Dominiques that I hatched. They are 3 weeks old and already I can see a distinct difference in color. Six are very dark and 4 have much lighter feathers on their wings. I believe I have 6 hens and 4 roosters.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    To who is the what for?

Chris

7. TexasWolf

TexasWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

never knew that they are gameish.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you read the Standard for the Plymouth Rock it reads;
    "The first and most prominent cross was that of a Dominique male with Black Cochin or Black Java female which was originally made at Putnam, Connecticut. The Dominique male used was not the American or Rose Comb Dominique male which became a standard breed in 1874, but a single combed, hawk-colored fowl commonly found in that locality."

Most common fowl found at that time were game type fowl.
    Much like this --
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Dominique_Games.html

Chris

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It was not too much before that time that what would become the American dominique was made up of rose and single comb varieties and neither where gamefowl. Also several other breeds, some potentially of recent European origin at that time, were hawk-colored and one could have been locally abundant in the local where barred Plymouth Rock development got underway. Short of running genetic analysis on feathers or other tissue samples from that time period, it is difficult to say what the initial makeup of barred Plymouth Rocks was at that time.

1 person likes this.
  10. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    It can vary, I find about 1 in 30 or so. The ones who usually have the single combs are the roosters, though I've had hens with single combs too. I do not use them in my breeding program.

They are still Dominiques, just with a defect. It is like an orpington with pink legs (instead of white), or a polish without a crest. They are still that breed, just defective specimens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by