Dominique Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 26, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Where did the dominiques come from. One source I have found to have high frequency of single combs.

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    My Dominiques are a blend of different strains, predominantly including Stichler and Voter.

What strain did you find throws out a lot of single combs?

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ideal strain out of New Mexico. I suspect they incorpated a single comb breed of some sort to facilitate feather sexing. My guess is the single comb breed was barred Plymouth Rock.

I also have a blended Voter strain of American dominiques. Mine do not throw single combs but occasionally a white bird pops up but not since new blood was blended in.

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    That would make sense that hatchery birds would be more likely to be less pure and therefore more likely to throw single combs . .

I have hatched hundreds of chicks but have never had any whites. Do you mean you got them just when breeding the pure Voter birds without any other strains?

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hatcheries will not be the only source for single combed birds. You can also have reverse mutations, higher frequency of single comb alleles owing to founders you start with (your case versus mine), or private individuals (perverts like me) that are working with a dominique strain by introducing alleles from another breed.

My Voter strain when bred to itself tended to throw a small percentage of white birds.

6. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Ideal is down in Texas. Privett is out in New Mexico. Not sure which one you meant.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Ideal was vendor I purchased them from. Privett was sub-contractor that produced chicks of lot I purchased.

8. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Not according to this article from 1916 from the National Barred Rock Journal, that cites "American Dominique"

http://books.google.com/books?id=8k...lack java and dominique + barred rock&f=false

or this one:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=EA... and american dominique + barred rock&f=false

or this one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rC... and american dominique + barred rock&f=false

or this one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=c-... and american dominique + barred rock&f=false

Just sayin is all. ;)

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Note the words being used in the links you posted.
    They all state American Dominique which is very different from just the term Dominique or Dom.
    In history there have been,

Dominique Leghorn
    Dominique Gamefowl (nearly ever type of gamefowl has a Dominique/Dom pattern)
    Dominique Spanish Fowl
    American Dominique
    etc.

Chris

10. vnsseed

vnsseed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Exactly my point... American Dominiques and Black Javas were used to create Barred Rocks... you were the one who argued it was a Dominique game fowl and not an American Dominique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by