Dominique Thread!

Flic, as in "Le flic?" Isn't that the French slang word for cop?

Do you really need a cockerel to breed mongrel chicks? I'd try to trade him for a pullet. B^)

Yes and I agree. Yes, Flic from slang for cop. 1,2,3.
The big reason why I don't need him. Flic Un could go with Deux and Trois if need be. Though they get along with the cochins better than Ricky the Dom. Ricky has no one to go with him. Though hatching chicks is not part of the plan at all so not horribly worried about mixing breeds.

Figured everyone could use a bit of cuteness, so from our brooder your screen- the cute day old chicks taking up residence in our dining room.
jumpy.gif

Those are Buckeyes. We are new to both breeds and are giving them a try, but so far the doms are prolly going to stick around. They are so curious, outgoing, and fun.

Cuteness overload is right! Those little Doms are the bees knees! They'll even snuggle in bed with you though I don't recommend it - they're too active and curious to stay still long.

You'll like the Buckeyes also. Not as cute as Doms but we recommended them with the Doms to a Colorado family and they love both. Good snow country breeds and friendly.

Yes they are cute! However I would never put baby chicks on pine shavings. We use a folded up plastic trash bag (for water proofing), then 2- layers of newspaper and then 2-layers of cheap/ rough paper towels.

I would be afraid of on of the chicks trying to eat any type of shavings and it getting stuck in heir throat or craw (crop).

Yes they are cute! However I would never put baby chicks on pine shavings. We use a folded up plastic trash bag (for water proofing), then 2- layers of newspaper and then 2-layers of cheap/ rough paper towels.

I would be afraid of on of the chicks trying to eat any type of shavings and it getting stuck in heir throat or craw (crop).

This year alone I hatched out and raised nearly 150 chicks...on pine shavings. Never had a problem.

Chicks do get bored easily and always scratching around so maybe there's some truth to your reason for not using shavings. I would think the edges would be kind of sharp but then so can straw. Chicks are raised outdoors by their mommas and seem to do ok on all kinds of terrain but you've given us some things to think about with indoor chicks. For our indoor Dom chick we used paper towel on the bottom of her cage. She was so active we had to give her more access in a bigger pen eventually and of course she was always around wherever we were. She wanted to sit on our hands when we typed on the computer keyboard, she wanted to follow us out of the room, she wanted to constantly talk to us. She really needed another chick companion but she was the last Dom at the feed store so she was alone except for her mirror and "blankie."

Quote: Dark shanks usually indicates a pullet. It's the bottoms of their feet that count; pink or white feet on a barred, single comb bird would be a Marans (or cross). BPR and Dominique both have yellow skin which means yellow feet and legs, so second thing to look for to tell the difference between them you look at the barring; on a Rock, the dark bar that goes across the feather is MOL a straight line. On a Dominique, it that same dark is "broken", so that rather than a straight line, it form a "V", or in some cases, a checkerboard effect like this:
http://eieio.org/img/checkerboard.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom