Dominique Thread!

If I have any complaint about my Doms, it's that they are too "nice". They tend to let all of the other breeds in my flock bully them. But, today, I witnessed something that gives me hope for them finally getting to the point where they take their rightful place in the flock. The girls have 4 nest boxes to choose from. Every morning, they must take a vote to see which box will be the favored one that day. Well, this morning, my RIR (who is the Alpha hen) was hogging the "box du jour" and one of the Dom gals decided it was time to lay an egg. So, she hopped in the box, ignoring the growling RIR, walked right over her back, even sat on her back for a bit before shoving her aside and settling down at the back of the box. She kept her head tucked down under RIR belly so she couldn't get pecked! YOU GO DOM GIRL!!!

If I have any complaint about my Doms, it's that they are too "nice". They tend to let all of the other breeds in my flock bully them. But, today, I witnessed something that gives me hope for them finally getting to the point where they take their rightful place in the flock. The girls have 4 nest boxes to choose from. Every morning, they must take a vote to see which box will be the favored one that day. Well, this morning, my RIR (who is the Alpha hen) was hogging the "box du jour" and one of the Dom gals decided it was time to lay an egg. So, she hopped in the box, ignoring the growling RIR, walked right over her back, even sat on her back for a bit before shoving her aside and settling down at the back of the box. She kept her head tucked down under RIR belly so she couldn't get pecked! YOU GO DOM GIRL!!!

Ha ha!

I have 5 different breeds in my group and the Doms rule. But it may be because my rooster is a dom. He prefers his own ladies to the rest of the bunch and does not allow any squabbling. Even my youngest 3 month old dom pullet who is smaller than everybody else walks right into the group bravely like a princess. I have Doms, Marans, EEs, buck-horn x's and one OEG for brooding.

One of my Dom pol's has had a very red comb for at least a month. I have been watching and have not found an egg. Just a few minutes ago she was singing the egg song.....but no egg that I can see. Is this normal if she is getting close to laying? It sounds reasonable to me, but I am a newbie and I don't know.

I have an addiction to cuckoo colored birds. I have never seen a cuckoo colored white eared chicken, very nice and different.

Back
Top Bottom