Dominique Thread!

Does anyone know where a good place to get Dominique eggs or chicks? I have been looking all over and cant find any! I initially got into chickens because of Dominique chickens (as that is my name
big_smile.png
) but have yet got my hands on any. Now I'm a dozen chickens in and still on the hunt. Any help would be lovely.
fl.gif

Does anyone know where a good place to get Dominique eggs or chicks? I have been looking all over and cant find any! I initially got into chickens because of Dominique chickens (as that is my name
big_smile.png
) but have yet got my hands on any. Now I'm a dozen chickens in and still on the hunt. Any help would be lovely.
fl.gif
Try here: http://www.dominiqueclub.org/

big_smile.png
fl.gif

The fellow on the dominiqueclub.org site is now working with Cackle Hatchery to improve the Dominique breed so maybe by next year the Doms should be nice to order. Cackle has a City/Town order of a minimum 5 pullets you can try to see if you like their stock. I personally got a feed store Dom chick that was from Privett Hatchery and she was adorable. If you're into breeding for show then you might be more interested in Cackle's Doms.

If you're into breeding for show then you might be more interested in Cackle's Doms.
If you're really into breeding or thinking about showing, you'll want to contact the DCA to find a breeder near you. Cackle is working with two of the Best in the Breed, but remember, they received *hatching eggs* this past spring. I imagine they will still need to breed up their numbers from those birds before they will be selling anything noticeable better (i.e. closer to the standard) than the other hatcheries. And remember, no matter where you obtain your stock, the phrase "show quality" is only valid if they actually do show.
wink.png

My communications were in person with Fred. He expressed concern about conflicts with managers of laying flock as they are typically overwhelmed with simply production numbers. If my understanding is correct, then those managers do select away from the SOP, rather they do not select to stay with it. I think the help Cackle gets will help and do so quickly.

I found where my dom pullet had been hiding her eggs. I blocked her from there (because I could not reach the eggs) and I put a nest box nearby. I have seen her in the nest a couple of times and I have found an egg in there every day for six days. Would she really be laying an egg a day or is it more likely her sister (same age) is laying also? They all look alike....but I have another pair of older dom sisters who lay eggs that look alike. I am happy for the extra egg, I'm just curious if she would lay every day as I did not think they laid that often. Thnx

Back
Top Bottom