Dominique Thread!

I live in Redding, CA. It's been getting dark about 7:30pm, I had my husband put a light in their coop, it's on a timer, on 2 hours from dusk.

Can't seem to quote from phone but I'm loving all these pics of Doms with kids, adults and even on top of other chickens! So cute!

There are some exotic and beautiful chickens in the world but Doms most certainly are at the top of my 5 favorite breeds for best temperament! And Dom feathers are more incredibly softer than our Silkies!

There are some exotic and beautiful chickens in the world but Doms most certainly are at the top of my 5 favorite breeds for best temperament! And Dom feathers are more incredibly softer than our Silkies!
I have a mixed flock & I agree about the softness. Their feathers also smell better. (Yes, I said "smell") It's kind of like that fresh spring smell after a rain. All the other chickens smell like plain chicken - that earthy, clay smell. Our Dom pulet has a diff smell that's actually pleasant.

As far as temperament, she's always following me & will cry out for me if she sees me but cannot get to me. Definitely a sweetie.

I have a mixed flock & I agree about the softness. Their feathers also smell better. (Yes, I said "smell") It's kind of like that fresh spring smell after a rain. All the other chickens smell like plain chicken - that earthy, clay smell. Our Dom pulet has a diff smell that's actually pleasant.

As far as temperament, she's always following me & will cry out for me if she sees me but cannot get to me. Definitely a sweetie.

I've been through a few breeds in 70 yrs and Doms are my favorite "barred" bird - incredible all-round backyard hen. That's cute about the "smell" of a chicken but now that you mentioned it I have noticed a different distinct smell between our current breeds LOL!

Doms are incredible at bonding with their humans which makes that an important quality for those of us who want pets as well as utility from our chickens. I still marvel at how our girls stay inside the yard even though some of them have incredible flight skills. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right (perhaps for choosing great breeds to begin with?!!).

I'd like to introduce to you Hank Wllieggs, Sr. He was my Mystery Chick this June from Murray MacMurray Hatchery. So he's about 18 weeks old now, but this pic was taken a couple of weeks ago. I'm thrilled to have him. He's crowing already and it's the cutest little crow ever!!
I'm liking this breed a lot. This is my second year raising chickens and I'm thinking I'll be getting some more Dominiues in my next order for sure!! I started out loving the feather footed breeds, and absolutely love Langshans. But of the non-feather footed breeds, I'm thinking of sticking to Easter Eggers and Dominiques.
I can't wait to get some more Dominiques, and if anyone has any HATCHING EGGS of better than hatchery quality eggs they'd be willing to sell/ship, please let me know, as I'd love to hatch my own!
Thank you! And I hope you like Hank as much as I do. I can't wait to see him fully feathered as he shows signs of having beautiful saddle and hackle feathers.
IMO, Doms and EE go together like PB and Jelly! Not only that, but if you have a good EE roo that's dark, not barred, he'll throw some incredible sex links with your Dom hens!

I don't snuggle my roosters (not me, but also I worry that too much "touchy feely" time with the roosters might make them more aggressive).

However... Whatever.. (Above was really a public service announcement
roll.png
)

I really like my rooster... He is a perfect gentleman.. He always calls the ladies over when he has a treat, and even though I just totally abused him and all his hens twice, about a week apart (treating for lice) he still hasn't gotten mad at me or my kids.

My youngest misbehaved today, so had to go clean poop trays, he needs a ladder or tall stool to reach the trays (so still little) and I never have to worry about him!

I love that!
You GO! Alaskan! Love creative discipline. Working off bad behavior or attitude is highly underutilized in our current "spoil the kid" culture!

All five of our 14 weeks old cockerels are lap chickens, thanks to my little lady. Doms are the sweetest!
Jolene, beautiful picture! Your daughter looks just like her Mom!

Back
Top Bottom