Dominique Thread!

Ron, Cackle would be the best hatchery to order Doms.

Thanks. I've used Cackle to order Austra-Whites to use when showing my kids and others how to caponize/poulardize chicks and I was happy with them. They were quite reasonable and uniform, making them the best bird I've found as a teaching tool. Unlike the bottom half of their equation, they are pretty calm and make a very good finished capon at about 18 months.

I have a trio of good Doms coming from a gal here in WV to use with my breeding program but was wondering how close the Doms (from Cackle) were to correct feather type. So many Doms have Barred Rock right up close and I don't like that, even for a bird I might be planning to use in my capon program....in fact, they would be especially off-putting because they likely wouldn't carry that little bit of extra meat that good Doms have and the B. Rocks have not.

Thanks again''

I recommend them not only based on their big healthy chicks, but more specifically, Mark Fields is helping them with their breeding selections this year. Mr. Fields probably knows as much, or more, than anyone about Dominiques.

Is this frostbite? Is so, what do I do?

Looks like it.

Hard to tell how much will die and fall off.

Since it is only discolored, not black, it might even manage to recover.

Too soon to tell.

As to treatment, you do not have to do anything. If parts are going to die and fall off, they will turn black first.

Sometimes when the dead parts fall off, there is blood. At that point watch to make sure no other chickens are attracted by the blood and try to eat him.

Other than that.., no horrid biggie.

Now toes rotting off IS a horrid biggie. Watch your perches, nice wide 3.5 to 4 inches wide!!!!! Keep the toes on the feet.

I agree that it looks like early frostbite. He probably got his waddles wet when pecking around in the snow. I find by simply leaving things alone, it will heal up on its own. Some people try to use ointments but all the touching is very painful to the bird & could actually do more harm.

There's a product called Kendall Udder Cream, manufactured by (KEN-AG <- very important) That might totally heal that light case and will prevent frostbite in the future. It's an excellent product that we've used in West Virginia for decades and it really works. We use it on ourselves as well so we buy it by the 4.5 pound tub. Reminds me...I need to order it.

You may be able to find it at your local farm store.

http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/home.php?cat=286

Thanks guys.

No he didn't get it from the snow, in fact my doms don't go out when there's snow on the ground.

However, he most likely did get it from the -30 degree weather we had here on Saturday.

As for the roost, I use 2 x 4's :)

Poor sweet boy. Some people have used various petroleum jellies or creams on their chickens. I used vaseline on my Leghorn's comb/wattles and all it did was make a mess of her feathers by morning so that dirt and stains remained on her white feathers. My vet told me to use vitamin A or vitamin E oil to bathe the comb, wattles, beak, toenails, legs, toes, and face skin, on all my chicken breeds. The vitamin oil is beneficial for the skin and even if some gets on the feathered legs/toes of our different breeds it's ok. It's all beneficial and less messy and helps protect against frostbite. Have to apply it at roost time on the chickens to give the vitamins overnight to soak in. There's no messy grease in the morning for dirt to stick to. My own hands feel very soft and supple after applying the vitamin E oil to the chickens. My DH helps me at roost time to bring out a chicken one at a time to massage with the vitamin oil and put back on the roost. We have only 4 hens so it's easy for us to do. I don't know how owners with bigger flocks manage their frostbite issues?

Back
Top Bottom