Dominique Thread!

Please set me straight on this topic, I am very new to raising chickens! I thought that the Dom roos have the rose combs while the hens have single straight combs and wattels? Do dom hens also have rose combs?

Please set me straight on this topic, I am very new to raising chickens! I thought that the Dom roos have the rose combs while the hens have single straight combs and wattels? Do dom hens also have rose combs?

All Dominiques have rose combs.

All barred rocks have straight combs. Male or female.

Sex - links may be either as they are a cross of two breeds.

With your help I've determined that this bird is NOT a Dominique, so now I wait it out for him/her to grow a bit more to see if it's a male or female. I'm holding out hope that it's female as I really don't want to re-home one of my birds.
sad.png

I'm new to keeping chickens, my birds are now 6 weeks old. I need help identifying, please? I bought my birds from the local feed store, and this one was labeled a Dominique pullet. I just want to be sure she is, indeed, a Dom pullet and not a Barred Rock cockerel (I can't keep roos in my area.) So, is this a Dominique hen or BR roo? And a shot of her as a week old chick:
Looks like a barred rock to me but I'm an extreme on Dominique presentaion(laided back defintion-does it got a mooshy red thing on its head?).

See this is a true DOM,there's a "mooshy thing" on her head. BTW my hubby is rolling his eyes at my southern vocabulary.

Feed stores mess up ALL the time, it will still be a cool chicken. Heck even hatcheries make mistakes too. They probably THOUGHT they where selling you a dom,dom's&barred rocks are cousins ehh sorta.

Last edited:
All Dominiques have rose combs.

All barred rocks have straight combs. Male or female.

Sex - links may be either as they are a cross of two breeds.

For the love of Chicken(heavens open chicken choir clicks in unison)Humans paying attention&is describing us correctly ahhhhhhhhhhh.(that's my chicken version of a heavenly choir lol)

Agree 100% very accurate post!
1f680.png
housten we have lift off

Last edited:
Look where Bubbles decided to roost tonight!
At 1st I didn't see her in the coop & thought she was missing. I guess she decided to spend the night high up in the enclosed run to enjoy the cool summer breeze..

Back
Top Bottom