Dominique Thread!

I've ordered 6 Dominique female chicks from Meyer hatchery that will be arriving in June. Reading about Dominiques in Backyard Poultry, (I do believe the article was in the very first issue I received) really got me interested in chickens in the first place. Till then I only had a few puddle ducks. When I got my first chicks they were from the local feed store which orders all theirs from Townline Hatchery in MI. Closest thing they had was barred rocks, so I got 6 of those, straight run. Since then I've had buckeyes and silver and gold laced wyandottes. Got those because they were considered dual purpose breeds and Doms were smaller and laid smaller eggs.

I finally came to my senses though and am looking forward to these gals. I've read they're good foragers and they'll have plenty of opportunities for that.

So, anything you think I need to know?
smile.png
Are they really friendly?

My Doms are sweeties, but we interact with them a lot so it could just be that they are used to us. Still, I have other breeds and we interact with them the same, but I still find the Doms to be the friendliest in our mixed flock. We're in the process of switching over to raising all Doms, getting a few more this year and getting set up to breed. I just love them!

So, anything you think I need to know?
smile.png
Are they really friendly?

I have a rooster and 2 hens My roosters name is Little Richard and he is a beautiful bird About 3 weeks ago I noticed his wings drooping, he stopped crowing, he would fall over and not be able to get up and could not get up on the roost I did some reading and sought advice on this web site Someone suggested it could be moldy hay I replaced the hay with pine shavings, put the food is in containers and put 2 or 3 caps of apple cider vinegar in their water Richard is back to himself now and the hens seem to be fine

My birds have been a real learning experience for me I think they are a wonderful breed to start a flock with The hens lay well and make wonderful mothers The roosters are great protectors Last spring one of the hens went broody The chicks did not survive so I'm hoping to have another broody hen soon so I can add to my flock
wee.gif

I'm glad your story had a happy ending! Yay for Little Richard and his girls. :)

I have a rooster and 2 hens My roosters name is Little Richard and he is a beautiful bird About 3 weeks ago I noticed his wings drooping, he stopped crowing, he would fall over and not be able to get up and could not get up on the roost I did some reading and sought advice on this web site Someone suggested it could be moldy hay I replaced the hay with pine shavings, put the food is in containers and put 2 or 3 caps of apple cider vinegar in their water Richard is back to himself now and the hens seem to be fine

Hello everyone,
I live in California & have been trying to get Dominiques going since last year. I was able to hatch 3 chicks from a shipped egg order from a private breeder & kept the best 2 for a pair. Everything else I tried was unsuccessful.
An Oregon breeder was trying to help me by bringing 3 pullets to the Stockton show for me but she was hit by a predator attack & lost those juveniles.
A semi local, very active, 4H poultry leader told me to find Greg Russell & keep bugging him for chicks because he has nice ones but I have been unable to find him in any search I do.
After trying 3 orders of a dozen hatching eggs from different breeders & only hatching & raising 3 I would really like to get chicks instead.
Does anyone know where to find Greg or have any other suggestions? I am retired & have a late start so would like to get nice stock to start with & work to improve & promote the breed & show them.
Thanks for any help
Karen in Central Valley California

Sewandgrow, I think that you are thinking of Craig Russell, not Greg. Craig Russell is the president of the SPPA.
Craig Russell, President
Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities
Rt. 4 Box 251
Middleburg, PA 17842
570-837-3157

Good luck,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom