Don’t count your chickens, because you might be wrong

Dec 2, 2020
I raised 18 pullets to keep or sell. They are Early September hatch.

I got 3 of each breed to see how I liked them and better chance to sell.

I’ve sold 9.

Tonight I was a bit later closing up the coop. I noticed an extra Ameraucana. Counted a couple times. Apparently I have two almost identical birds. 4 of that breed.

Makes sense my counts would yield +/- 1 over time.

I doubt it’s wandered in as I’m well off the main drag.

I raised 18 pullets to keep or sell. They are Early September hatch.

I got 3 of each breed to see how I liked them and better chance to sell.

I’ve sold 9.

Tonight I was a bit later closing up the coop. I noticed an extra Ameraucana. Counted a couple times. Apparently I have two almost identical birds. 4 of that breed.

Makes sense my counts would yield +/- 1 over time.

I doubt it’s wandered in as I’m well off the main drag.
I almost ALWAYS count them 3 times, often more, everyday. That's why I am always on night duty with the chickens. Ever since one of my family members locked my FAVORITE girl outside, I started to take on the night duty. She was killed sometime during the night. And to think that it was totally avoidable? Heartbreaking.

I almost ALWAYS count them 3 times, often more, everyday. That's why I am always on night duty with the chickens. Ever since one of my family members locked my FAVORITE girl outside, I started to take on the night duty. She was killed sometime during the night. And to think that it was totally avoidable? Heartbreaking.
Same here.
We kept losing chickens at night, sometimes because they were locked out before they all got into the coop. Ever since then I've been counting the chickens every night multiple times to make sure I've got them all.

I knew how many chicks I'd ordered but couldn't count them reliably for over a week because they were so active and rapidly-moving.

I knew how many total birds I'd bought and that I'd only lost one but I lost track of how many I had sold and spent months unsure exactly how many I had (at this point I'm 95% sure it's 23 -- soon to change because I'm setting my first incubator hatch this week).

Back
Top Bottom