Dong tao chicks

Actually, having them show up on a hatchery's stock list is a good thing It means that people have taken notice and there's hope for the breed! Nankins are available at a hatchery, too, but the birds look like an outcross. It takes several generations to get them close to SOP ... still, it's a start!
Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, Heritage Leghorns (not the commercial cross) Plymouth Rock and Sussex al started out higher on the CP list, but have moved past "Recovering" to "Watch" status. Pretty much everyone with a mixed laying flock has an Australorp and or a Cochin - and Speckled Sussex are getting much more common, now. I guess that means we're doing something right! If I had more space, there are quite a few rare breeds I'd like to keep ... like the Cubalaya and Sultans and maybe some more Jersey Giants and New Hampshire Reds to match up with my two Kindergarten Rescues (two of the sweetest hens I've got!)
Chicken Math is real ... and I'm convinced that it's NOT a hobby ... it's a DISEASE!
I have 2 BJG, 1 NHR, and an SS for the "rarer" ones. First 3 are 3 weeks old last one is a week old.
Kiwi
IMG_2681.JPEG

Missy
IMG_2812.JPEG

Emo
IMG_2753.JPEG

Honey
IMG_2716.JPEG

Honey has pretty wings
IMG_2728.JPEG

Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, Heritage Leghorns (not the commercial cross) Plymouth Rock and Sussex al started out higher on the CP list, but have moved past "Recovering" to "Watch" status.
I think you have that reversed. From Watch to Recovering, right?

I'm learning the difference between hatchery and birds bred to standard. I love my hatchery brahmas and the the buff laced brahmas. But I finally got to go to a poultry show and see them in person and the difference is amazing. My buff laced are closer to show quality but now I see where there needs improvement. The same with my dominiques. My ancestors used to raise that breed and I wouldn't mind working with them as well.
Chicken Math is real ... and I'm convinced that it's NOT a hobby ... it's a DISEASE!
Yep! I can't wait to hatch a few babies! And hope that the price of wood goes back down soon...

I have 2 BJG, 1 NHR, and an SS for the "rarer" ones. First 3 are 3 weeks old last one is a week old.
Kiwi
View attachment 2531098
Missy
View attachment 2531100
Emo
View attachment 2531102
Honey
View attachment 2531104
Honey has pretty wings
View attachment 2531105
What a bunch of cuties!
A note about the poultry census - It's completely different from a human census. A human census counts how many people exist so the government can provide services. A poultry census is about counting birds in conservation and breed protection programs. Having a bird or two for flock and egg color diversity is great, but it doesn't protect the integrity of the pure strain unless you also have a purebred same-breed rooster for your hens. If there are no purebred chicks coming out of the breeding program, then the rare birds don't count in the census. Purebred chicks mean continuation - conservation - of the breed. THAT's what the census is about, not counting how many people have a Cochin or an Australorp or two in their flocks.

Pretty, diverse backyard flocks are very important. That's why many of us have chickens in the first place - a pretty flock and a pretty egg basket. Just as important, though, is preserving the basic genetics that went into all of today's beautiful "new" breeds and hybrids. Think of conserving the heritage breeds as preserving building blocks for the future. Build your house, pour your concrete, bake your bricks, but make sure that someone, somewhere, is preserving the forests and the clay fields so we have them to create new building designs for the future. That's breed conservation in a nutshell ... or a building shell?

The Dong Tao is a prime example. Like the Icelandic and Russian Orloff chickens, it's an old breed, one that may well disappear if no one takes an interest in breeding it, disappear if it stays in its tiny little pocket of the world. Sure, it needs to be in lots of flocks as individual specimens, but it also needs careful breeders to make sure it stays around for generations to come.

Okay 0 Sorry to the OP for diverting this thread. I'll get down off my soapbox, now. Good Luck finding the Dong Tao, whenever they come available. Maybe you'll be their saving grace! I certainly hope so!

I think you have that reversed. From Watch to Recovering, right?

I'm learning the difference between hatchery and birds bred to standard. I love my hatchery brahmas and the the buff laced brahmas. But I finally got to go to a poultry show and see them in person and the difference is amazing. My buff laced are closer to show quality but now I see where there needs improvement. The same with my dominiques. My ancestors used to raise that breed and I wouldn't mind working with them as well.

Yep! I can't wait to hatch a few babies! And hope that the price of wood goes back down soon...
A cheep alternative to building a new coop (Chicken Math Thwarting!) is to repurpose an old wooden playhouse. There always seems to be one waiting around "free for pickup." When my kids outgrew our playhouse, I commandeered it. The top is our main coop, the sandbox below is the run for a smaller coop box. We're about to add a drop-door to combine them. It's a GREAT coop!

Attachments

• CoopS.jpg
    CoopS.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SimpletonC.jpg
    SimpletonC.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2
A cheep alternative to building a new coop (Chicken Math Thwarting!) is to repurpose an old wooden playhouse. There always seems to be one waiting around "free for pickup." When my kids outgrew our playhouse, I commandeered it. The top is our main coop, the sandbox below is the run for a smaller coop box. We're about to add a drop-door to combine them. It's a GREAT coop!
I love that. Unfortunately no playhouse here and I've got a tiny car. So everything has to be 5ftx2ft or less, or delivered. It was a miracle that I hauled the plywood pallets here to build our current coop. An inch or two wider and they wouldn't have fit.

Hey, they got back to me on Facebook.

1- we told you earlier we imported eggs and hatched them . Vietnamese dragon chicken originated from Vietnam ok
2- we do have photos like the birds being updated on our page status. We also have identification of need be
3- we have been growing birds and doing poultry for over 12years now
4- we are legit and we don't pay attention to detractors Ok. We never and will never scam
5- we raise them as per their requirements and season. We do use hatcheries in some cases and the hens hatch their eggs in most cases. NB: we are legit and do look forward to a good business plan and reliable customer . We are not interested in time wasters. Thanks

Don't really know what to say about this, they didn't send any images however I did respond telling them to send a picture of their chickens with an American newspaper or something else that proves that they're here in America. Also told them about their images appearing on different accounts.

1- we told you earlier we imported eggs and hatched them . Vietnamese dragon chicken originated from Vietnam ok
2- we do have photos like the birds being updated on our page status. We also have identification of need be
4- we are legit and we don't pay attention to detractors Ok. We never and will never scam
5- we raise them as per their requirements and season. We do use hatcheries in some cases and the hens hatch their eggs in most cases. NB: we are legit and do look forward to a good business plan and reliable customer . We are not interested in time wasters. Thanks

Don't really know what to say about this, they didn't send any images however I did respond telling them to send a picture of their chickens with an American newspaper or something else that proves that they're here in America. Also told them about their images appearing on different accounts.
Might be nothing, but their language skills seem a bit off too. Not that it makes them liars, just... I don't know how to say it without sounding bad

"we are legit'' over and over sounds a lot like someone who WASN'T legit would say, instead of just answering the questions and apologizing for the confusion or thanking you for your interest.
Might be nothing, but their language skills seem a bit off too. Not that it makes them liars, just... I don't know how to say it without sounding bad
Agree, and I totally get what you mean- many scammers, for some reason, don't use punctuation, like, ever.

Back
Top Bottom