Donkey.... Pictures added

reallemons1

Songster
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Gloucester, VA
I am going to look at and hopefully bring home a donkey today. He is a typical standard size gray with a stripe over his shoulders, 1 year old gelding, not handled much. I am told he is friendly. He has good feet and weight, looks good in the pictures. I have have horses almost all my life (30+ years) and have always wanted a pet donkey. Any advise from donkey people what to check out or look for would be helpful.

Last edited:
I've never had a donkey, so no help there. But I have to tell you- I have a large shepherd mix dog, Wolfie, and we had to kennel him for a week, to go out of town. They had horses, mules and one donkey at the kennel, living there. Lots of other dogs, cats, birds etc.
Well when I got back and went to get Wolfie, the lady owner of the kennel said "we've got a bit of a problem". Turn out Wolfie had fallen in LOVE with the donkey!

I mean besotted, full tilt boogie LOVE.
love.gif
Big mooney eyes, wouldn't leave his donkey's side! He had it baaaaad!

Darn near broke my heart to drag him away.
hit.gif
We still go visit his donkey every now and then, and he still loves "his" donkey.

Quote:
Hi Ranchie,

I would give anything to see this. lol....

I also love donkeys, always have, so I have sympathy with Wolfie.

I am now so envious, I relly am trying so hard to find somewhere to keep a donkey, and a few goats but it is taking sooooooooooo long.. lol.

Good luck to Wolfie in his infatuation, and good luck to the new Donkey..no advice but they are such little characters.

Jena.

Thanks. From what friends have told me the care of a donkey is about the same as a horse, but the mentality is kinda different. They say you have to think a little more because donkeys are smarter. Hope I'm up for the challenge. I'd like to start him on my pony cart. Cute.

Enjoy your new donkey! I have a mini donkey and just love the little guy to pieces! We got him at 6 months.

It is amazing how hardy these guys are. They are like little air ferns and get fat off a good breeze!

One thing to remember is they are nothing like horses! My guy will get mad and either sit or lay down. You can not "force" them to do anything. I do have a bright yellow dressage crop I used to teach him to lead - and sometimes still have to get it out as a reminder. If he sees you pick it - he walks right off like " I was going - don't get ugly" I swear he keeps his memory in it.
hmm.png
But, some feed will really encourage them. If he hasn't been handles much, loading may be an issue - Take some tasty sweet feed with you. JJ will jump right in a trailer for his snack! But you could not get him in there without :)

Have fun and be sure to get pics!

PS - about feeding - be sure not to over feed (they put on weight EASY) and only grass hays. Alot of people do not feed grain at all. I give about 1.5 cups of pellets when I feed the horse. he enjoys his grain so much I just couldn't imagine denying him that little pleasure! Alfalfa and T&A are too much for them.

Last edited:
Awe...I love donkeys, and hope to have a mammoth some day. I have a couple minis now. If the standards are similar, it takes them a very, very, VERY long time to warm up to you if they haven't been handled much. I've got a gelding who I have had for probably 6 or 7 years now, and just this year, he allows me to put on & remove his halter without backing up a bunch of steps. It's taken lots of time, patience, and understanding on my part to get to this point. I know for certain this boy was not abused or mistreated in any way. He came from a breeder where he was low on the pecking order, and there many in his herd. That's all. OH, he's also difficult with the farrier...last year, we got to the point where he's actually "okay" for the farrier. I feel for this little guy, but have treated him no differently...just spent more time with him. They are, in my experience, MUCH more sensitive than horses.

They're cute as buttons, and a wonderful addition to livestock - mine are excellent little alarms, too! Enjoy!

Well, Thanks for all for the great stories, advice and the information web sites. I did bring home my donkey. His name is Don Kee and he has really big ears. I'll hopefully get pics and post tomorrow. He is a gray dun, gelding, about 1 to 1 1/2 years old and between 11 and 12 hands (I still need to measure him). I'm guessing he might get kinda big. He is friendly but careful and unsure of being handled. He needs to learn how to lead, be touched all over, and to pick up his feet for care. His feet need trimmed. They are long but in good shape. The line where his foal feet (from birth) has not been trimmed out yet. I hope to have him safe for the farrier next visit, 4 weeks from now. He has a kind, willing attitude and I think he will be fun to work with.

Congratulations on your new addition! Once he gets used to you, you will find they love being touched and rubbed on. I have found when leading mules, or, donkeys, the secret is to keep them moving, even if it's not the direction you want to go. Depending on your ground, you won't have to do a lot to their feet. We have a lot of rock around here and just do a light trim and file a couple of times a year. Never had shoes on them. They are very smart and have an excellent memory. Once they learn something, it's time to move on to something else, or they will get bored with the repetition. Just be patient and remember, that they can live to be fifty years old, so there will be plenty of time to try again tomorrow.
Best of luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom