Don't ask your elderly father what he wants for Christmas.....

Wasn't there a movie on tv once, a daughter couldn't afford gifts
for her elderly mother for Christmas? So the daughter "stold" nic-nacs
and such from the mothers apartment for months...of course driving
the mother nuts since she thought she was losing her mind.

Wrapped them up all nice and neat and gave the mothers own things
back to her for Christmas.

It was a funny movie.

But me...really and truely nothing I want for Christmas. In my wife, my
daughter...I've got more than I ever deserved.

Spook....who knows 62 is far from old.

For several years I bought Dad restaurant gift cards, but yesterday he confided in me that my eldest sister has been sending him those (Only because her son manages a restraurant and gets them for free
roll.png
).

Last year we got Dad a coffee table book with photos and diagrams of the ships and boats of WWII.

This year we are back to Old Spice and handkerchiefs.

My mom has been gone nearly 18 years now, but this brings to mind a story from my childhood.

I thought my mom liked Tabu cologne, so every year as a kid I'd save my pennies and walk to the montgomery ward store to buy her a bottle of Tabu.

I was in my 20s when I overheard mom tell someone that she was deathly allergic to it.
tongue.png

My father always says he wants boots and hunting clothes.... of which he has plenty! We always get him what he wants.

My mother let it slip one year that he had never used last Christmas' boots when he put in his request. I had her haul them up to our place and I wrapped them again! They were rubber boots that I had wrapped separately so that they were obviously boots! They still had some of the last year's paper stuck to them and I left it on them. We actually had to explain why we were laughing so much over his gift.
lol.png

My dad never opened the knife we gave him one Christmas. My mother gave it to him again for his birthday that november. When we gave it to him again for the next Christmas he said "I've got a knife just like this already!"
gig.gif

This year I have a camoflage "purse" for him. Hey! That's "hunting clothes", right?

His "boots" will be a pair of ceramic craft boots about 3 inches tall..... and maybe the rubber boots he still hasn't used yet.

Last year we gave him hunting clothes and nice ones at that! Of course they were size 8 boys!

There will be real gifts to go along with the gag gifts, but he just makes it too easy!!

I used to be a great fan of Shalimar body talc, and depended on one friend to get me my annual supply at Christmas. Would he buy it for himself? I wouldn't have.

I HATE when people ask me what I want for Christmas. I hate the holidays, and find it hard to be cheerful. I always feel awkward telling people what I want. If I want something, I generally buy it myself.
idunno.gif

I am one of those people that treasure gifts for the thought behind them, not what it actually is. If it's from someone I love, I treasure it, even if I think it's hideous. I have many pieces of jewelry I have never worn, but still take out every so often, look at and smile.
idunno.gif

As far as Old Spice, I love the scent. I'm absolutely in love with the Old spice guy....
love.gif

I never ask anyone what they want...I've been pretty lucky in that I can always seem to find the perfect gift for each person.
fl.gif

Your dad will love anything you get him Gritty, because it's from you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
My dad has stage 4 lung cancer and has severe COPD. He has approx. 1-4 weeks left to live. The Hospice nurse says more like 1-2 weeks. The last 2 days he has had a moment of clarity. He woke up and sang songs with my mother. I recorded them singing on my cell phone. When he ran out of breath he would tap his hand in rhythem and correct every word my mother sang wrong. It was hilarious to watch but me and my sister just sat and cried the entire time they sang.

When I read Old Spice aftershave on this thread I had to chuckle. I have given him Old Spice aftershave and deodorant every year for the past forever. That and lottery tickets, candy, oatmeal cookies and peanuts.

My wife asked him what he wanted for Christmas yesterday and he said a basketball goal. I figure he wanted it so the grandkids could enjoy it while at their house. I hope he lives long enough to enjoy his basketball goal that he is getting for Christmas.

Darin

Last edited:
hey, at least it wasn't a gift certificate for Hooters or some little blue pills...my dad is deceased but the dad of a friend asked Santa for these items...cracked me up...uh...maybe you need to know him to appreciate that in full...

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom