Don't eat donuts in front of chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bel, Mar 2, 2011.

1. bel

bel Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I was thinking it might be nice to maybe eat outside and watch the chickens and ducks who are freeranging. I was eating a donut, next thing I know both speckled sussex hens are standing at my feet looking at the donut, looking at the ground then back at the donut, hoping I will throw them some. This is the first time they have seen a donut but they knew its something they want. I Walked inside and they followed me in before I could close the door. I could have grabbed one but the other would have bolted to the carpeted parts of the house, instead I went to the pantry, got some plain oats and threw some out the door and the hens went back outside. So as far as they are concerned donuts taste like rolled oats, don't tell them otherwise.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Don't eat donuts in front of chickens? Don't eat food period in front of your chickens, unless you plan to share. [​IMG]

3. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Songster

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Ha ha!! I think we all learn this the hard way...don't eat ANYTHING around chickens because they think it's all for them. I was brutally attacked by the ravenous winged darlings just the other day while walking to the barn eating a cracker. Bye bye cracker!! [​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Hahahaha

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If I hold food around waist height, my sussex jumps up and grabs it. She will jump up to peck the treats jar in my hand, too. I carry treats in held high.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

And NEVER ever feed leftover spaghetti noodles dangling down from your fingers. Because the next time you go in the run.... [​IMG]

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Well the same goes for clam chowder and Cherry chessecake my buff orpington butterscotch and I shared alot that day!

8. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Rockin' Reds :

Ha ha!! I think we all learn this the hard way...don't eat ANYTHING around chickens because they think it's all for them. I was brutally attacked by the ravenous winged darlings just the other day while walking to the barn eating a cracker. Bye bye cracker!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] I can see it now - tooo funny​

9. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    Quote:I know that, everytime I eat something, theres Muggsy or Slinky in my lap. If I dare ignore them they gently tap my arm or leg with there beaks.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. heather112588

heather112588 Songster

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    They want everything that i have... they even try to drink my coffee when i set it down [​IMG] ! appearantly they dont like it, just shake their head but still go back for more...not very bright birds but i love them [​IMG] .

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: