Don't eat donuts in front of chickens

Quote:
I have to agree with you on that one
lol.png

Me: -goes outside with a bowl of ice cream-

Chickens: -run up and give me the beg face-

Me: No, ice cream is bad for chickens. -sits down in a chair-

Gamma (my GSL pullet): -jumps up onto the chair-

Me: No, Gamma! Get off the chair. Ice cream is bad for chickens-nudges her until she gets off-

Chickens -continue to beg-

Me: For pete's sake! -walks back into the house-

I have given them all natural strawberry sherbert before. It was August, I felt bad for them in the insufferable heat. The girls ran up, shoved their beaks down in the bowl quickly and immediately they all got brain freeze. Their hackle feathers went up and stayed that way. Funniest dang thing.
gig.gif

DH is a commercial fisherman. Some days he brings home stone crab claws, boils them and takes them outside to share with the chickens. The best part about it is that the 'mess' of cracking crab claws stays outside, and, the shells are really good for the chickens! Lots of calcium and they really enjoy it! I crush up the shells into smaller pieces when they are done picking all the meat out of them. They naturally think anything we bring out there is for them...just like a cat...

Lulu, my lame part-time house chicken perks up at the sound of rustling plastic bags. When my DH is home, he has a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast and Lulu got to know the sound of the bread bag. Now if you rustle a bag, she's there to see what you're eating.
lau.gif
Reminds me of when my DS was young and my parents were visiting. My mom thought DS was hard of hearing and we should get his hearing checked. My DH whispered "Do you want a cookie?" in the kitchen and from his bedroom DS came running.
gig.gif
Selective hearing.

Quote:
I don't often burst out laughing, but this did it!

I'll have to buy them some this summer...and have the camera handy.

Quote:
lol.png

Me: No, Gamma! Get off the chair. Ice cream is bad for chickens-nudges her until she gets off-

I have given them all natural strawberry sherbert before. It was August, I felt bad for them in the insufferable heat. The girls ran up, shoved their beaks down in the bowl quickly and immediately they all got brain freeze. Their hackle feathers went up and stayed that way. Funniest dang thing.
gig.gif

lau.gif
Never seen a chicken with brain freeze before. This summer I'll give them sherbert so I can see that.
gig.gif

Quote:
lol.png

gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

I just love it when hens go is stealth mode to nab food from unsuspecting people. My personal favorite is the nonchalant ground pecking near your feet then the sudden lunge for the goody in your hand! And off she goes!

My chickens, too, have learned to know the sound of a bread bag! They hear it coming out of my pocket and before you know it, it is just like you are being carried by a crowd of chickens! Then, when you put it in the suet cage so that it takes a bit of work, they look at you like, "Why did you do that? Now we can't get it!"... OMW! LOL... They are so cute that I usually end up taking it out for them!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom