Don't eat that.

My chickens have tried:

• Total voters
I have a hen (Maleficent; the appropriate name she came with) who eats frogs and mice. Actually all my chu will eat small larva sized mouselings (yes I know this is cruel and it breaks me too, but so do the mice. They've almost burned the house down a couple of times and they feed off the chu corn and multiply rapidly. I rescue the frogs, they eat other stuff that causes problems.) Sometimes I use sticky traps, which I know is extremely inhumane, so I bash the varmintses heads to end their misery and then feed them to the more bloodthirsty of the flock (there are several who won't eat grown mice.) I generally try to use the old traps that instantaneously crush their skulls or give them fatal cervical injuries, but sometimes they wise up and learn how to outsmart the traps. Mice are fearfully intelligent and great athletes. If anyone figures out how to make peace with them, clue me in, because I would much rather have them as allies. Sorry for the digression, back to the chicken pica..

Recently some styrofoam ended up in the yard, and a young cockerel bent on his own destruction was eating it like it was cake. I took what was left from him and threw it away, which he found very offensive.

I've seen them eat paper several times, but they figure out pretty quickly that it's not food. As I quickly figured out that chickens will take a plug out of your eye if you let them stare into it long enough (though I will never live it down.) It's rather humiliating to have to explain that to the eye doctor with random people, including other patients, feeling compelled to come check you out, b/c that's the stupidest thing they've ever heard in their life; of course everyone that works in the office has to see for themselves (so much for hipaa.) Hopefully I'm not listed on someone's fb page over that (sigh of disgust; mostly at self.)

They like to pick at anything on our skin that looks like it may bleed in hopes of encouraging it to do so; hairs, moles, etc. Sometimes the chicks may pick the gnats off the roo's comb, which is cute and sweet. They will pick at one another's wounds, which is not. I just recently posted pics of a chick I had that had the skin picked off it's neck by a hen for no good reason.

They also pick at shoe laces, loose thread on fabric (look like worms?), paint flakes (try not to have any of those around,) bb's, small pieces of plastic from toys broken up by the lawnmower that got left in the yard, and hair. That's all I can think of right now.

I've found rational discussions concerning food are lost on chickens, so I pretty much stick to conversing with them in humiliating multilingual infantile babble (which is where the word chu came from) or threatening them in a bad Scottish accent, a bad Southern accent, or in Spanish. Sometimes I try to speak Chu, and they start to think I'm catching on and attempt to reply, but then shake their heads and realize I'm just repeating the sounds I hear them making.

And then of course, there was Walter, who always just bit us for fun, from the time he was a hatchling. Walter is now our alpha (renamed by oldest human cub,) but he was originally Biter, and seems to have quit biting for the most part now that he is too busy managing hens, plus I've had to rehab him twice for injuries. His father was much like your Coq Au, who wasn't a biter, but rather a flogger. We (myself, sons, dog, cat, husband, other chickens) endured all manner of cowardly, undeserved backstabbing before he launched a full frontal and abuse before he put his spur in my right middle metacarpal joint (oh, the irony..)

Also ironically, his name was Phoenix, and I loved that stupid rooster so much. It really broke my heart to have to send him to the other side. And he was tough, to be sure, but the dog and the cat didn't mind. They were glad to be vindicated.

And then of course, there was Walter, who always just bit us for fun, from the time he was a hatchling. Walter is now our alpha (renamed by oldest human cub,) but he was originally Biter, and seems to have quit biting for the most part now that he is too busy managing hens, plus I've had to rehab him twice for injuries. His father was much like your Coq Au, who wasn't a biter, but rather a flogger. We (myself, sons, dog, cat, husband, other chickens) endured all manner of cowardly, undeserved backstabbing before he launched a full frontal and abuse before he put his spur in my right middle metacarpal joint (oh, the irony..)

Also ironically, his name was Phoenix, and I loved that stupid rooster so much. It really broke my heart to have to send him to the other side. And he was tough, to be sure, but the dog and the cat didn't mind. They were glad to be vindicated.
You clearly obsess over and overly anthropomorphisize your chickens far too much for a normal person.

In fact, I rather think that you are a 'kook'.

I LIKE FOLKS LIKE YOU!!! :D

Totally relate on ALL LEVELS! :D

My friend, there is a clear distinction between normal and average. The average person doesn't have chickens, which is probably why most people are crazy anymore. As far as the average chicken owner, I suspect most probably do in secret. I have to admit reading your blog inspired some of my outburst. ;)
GOOD! You be as 'crazy' as you want to be! I tend not to write my blog expecting people to read it ... what person in their right mind would???

So ... it's for me ... and for the wonderfully crazy folks like you that attempt to 'reason' with their chickens!

Back
Top Bottom