Don't know if it seizures! Help!

I personally would not do the vinegar. Clean, fresh water is really the best thing for her. Her digestion is probably slowing, so that may be causing most of her issues, as well as not absorbing nutrients as well. If you want to give probiotics I would use an all species one, like probios, that you can mix with a bit of moistened feed, or sav-a-chick makes one that mixes in the water (make sure it's the probiotic and not the electrolytes).

I personally would not do the vinegar. Clean, fresh water is really the best thing for her. Her digestion is probably slowing, so that may be causing most of her issues, as well as not absorbing nutrients as well. If you want to give probiotics I would use an all species one, like probios, that you can mix with a bit of moistened feed, or sav-a-chick makes one that mixes in the water (make sure it's the probiotic and not the electrolytes).
Do you think the poultry cell is okay to use?

It is not great to keep giving the Poultry Cell which has electrolytes for more than a few days. Use something like B complex, containing all b vitamins, and vitamin E, if you want to give her a supplement. Thirteen is extremely old, so I would just try to make her comfortable and let her decide what she wants to do. Feed her nutritious feed, with the occasional treat.

Help again! Monday I decided to try poultry cell that doesn't have electrolytes. I couldn't get her to drink it from her water because I think she could smell it so since she loves watermelon I put it in a chopper so it is bite size pieces with liquid. It was very late in the day but she did eat a little. The next day I did the same thing but she ate much more. Mid day I thought to myself maybe she is getting to much compared to water so I took it away. Yesterday she was great (Wednesday). Today she won't eat,she is making little crying sounds, drinking ALOT, and her poops are watery and sometimes have green or brown in them. The poop thing is not new though. I am scared she has been overdosed caused the little crying sounds and the heavy drinking is something new. Everything else she is back and forth with. Does anyone know how long it would take for vitamin toxicity to show? The last time she ingested poultry cell would have been Tuesday afternoon. Am I gonna lose her from this. When eggcessive told me to stop poultry cell that helped my decision to stop it but now I think I may be to late. My husband and I have been giving her around the clock care and either him or I are awake with her 24 hours a day. Never out of sight. I will never forgive myself for this. I know the comb can indicate health in chickens. Hers is the same. Not bright red but not pale. I between pink and red.

I don't think it's likely that you overdosed the vitamins, but if she already had kidney or liver issues, then possibly it could exacerbate that. Many of the supplements for poultry are very helpful in the short term, but not really intended (or good for) longer term use. It's very hard to say for sure what's going on. I think it's more likely that it's age related and she may just be failing. I know that isn't what you want to hear, and I certainly can't tell you that with certainty. Honestly, I would stop them at this point and just give her fresh, clean water. Feed her healthy things that she will eat, try to entice her to eat her regular feed. Sometimes mixing a moistened feed with a little scrambled egg mixed in will get them eating. No one wants to think about it, but if you do lose her, I'd recommend that you consider a necropsy. It may give you peace of mind to know exactly what happened, and it can provide valuable information in some cases for any other birds you have going forward.
:hugs

I don't think it's likely that you overdosed the vitamins, but if she already had kidney or liver issues, then possibly it could exacerbate that. Many of the supplements for poultry are very helpful in the short term, but not really intended (or good for) longer term use. It's very hard to say for sure what's going on. I think it's more likely that it's age related and she may just be failing. I know that isn't what you want to hear, and I certainly can't tell you that with certainty. Honestly, I would stop them at this point and just give her fresh, clean water. Feed her healthy things that she will eat, try to entice her to eat her regular feed. Sometimes mixing a moistened feed with a little scrambled egg mixed in will get them eating. No one wants to think about it, but if you do lose her, I'd recommend that you consider a necropsy. It may give you peace of mind to know exactly what happened, and it can provide valuable information in some cases for any other birds you have going forward.
:hugs
We have lost many and it is extremely heartbreaking. There is something very special about Emma and she loves us just as much as we love her. This is the longest we have ever had one of our girls survive. Over 13 and half years old. She's remarkable. Everytime we think we are losing her she bounces back. God love her! We did stop the poultry cell that Tuesday afternoon and all she is eating is her crumbles, mealworm, and watermelon since it is so hot! I did try eggs but believe it or not she don't like eggs! Lol. Yesterday she was eating great but today.... Nothing, just lots of water. She approaches the food then walks away. I heard molasses was also good for flushing out the system for toxicity and was wondering if I should do that in case she was overdosed. Only thing that confuses me about that is molasses is high in iron and other vitamins too so wouldn't that make matters worse? We don't want to be selfish because we know she is old and unfortunately there is a time for everyone but when a human gets elderly we don't say well they are old so just leave them be. I know I can only do so much but I want to do all I can if that makes sense. If she didn't have days where she is like WOW LOOK AT HER Go maybe I would feel differently. Sorry for the rambling on. I appreciate the support and kind words 😊

It's ok, I know it's hard to lose them. And to feel helpless. :hugs
The issue with flushes is that they are very dehydrating. If she's drinking a lot, then that may not be what you want to do. It basically gives them diarrhea, and you have to make sure you replace the fluids adequately. And it can mess up their electrolites. If she's already having trouble, that could just make it worse.

It's ok, I know it's hard to lose them. And to feel helpless. :hugs
The issue with flushes is that they are very dehydrating. If she's drinking a lot, then that may not be what you want to do. It basically gives them diarrhea, and you have to make sure you replace the fluids adequately. And it can mess up their electrolites. If she's already having trouble, that could just make it worse.
I thought that too. Right now I guess the best thing to do is make sure she has food and water available to her at all times. I don't want to force feed her. I think that would stress her and there has been times that she stopped eating and the next day made up for it! Plus, keep her cool cause it is getting hot here. Emma and I send you thanks and hugs!

I thought that too. Right now I guess the best thing to do is make sure she has food and water available to her at all times. I don't want to force feed her. I think that would stress her and there has been times that she stopped eating and the next day made up for it! Plus, keep her cool cause it is getting hot here. Emma and I send you thanks and hugs!
I have very sad news. Today Emma won't move, eat, drink, or even barely open her eyes. She just keeps peeking at us with those precious angel eyes. I feel like I killed my baby with those vitamins and I will never forgive myself. She was doing much better than this up till a day and a half after that poultry cell. I know she has got to be dying but I don't know if I should be doing something like trying to give her water or something. I'm losing my baby and I believe we have ran out of miracles. Feel so much guilt and so very heartbroken.

Please don't be hard on yourself. It's entirely possible that you had nothing to do with this and it's just the natural progression of whatever is going on with her. I have worked really hard on trying to save some of my birds only to find out at necropsy that it was really out of my hands, nothing I did was going to make a difference. But I had to try. It's really hard sometimes to know exactly what's going on. I've had birds live that long, and you get very, very attached. When they begin to fail, I just make them as comfortable as I can, that can mean different things for different birds. Some I leave with the flock because I know that is where they are happy, some I isolate, so they can have calm and quiet. Depending on what is going on I decide whether to let things happen naturally, or whether to euthanize to prevent suffering. There is no one right answer. I know it's really hard, and you will miss her. She was loved, and well cared for, she made it to 13 which is really, really good for a chicken. You should not feel guilty. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom