Don't know where to start!! *NEWBIE*

caitkc

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
So my husband and I have always talked about raising chickens for eggs, but it was never a serious discussion until today. We haven't bought or built anything yet because we want to be as prepared as possible....and we're a little broke right now.

I was looking at different breeds, and I have a question. I wasn't sure where to put it, but I guess since we'd be starting with chicks, this was a good place to start.

We live in Kansas City. Our summers can get up to 100 give or take with heat index, our winters down to 0 and negative with windchill, but those are the extreme ends. When looking at different breeds and narrowing the search down with the options to the left, I'm curious as to what exactly the cold/hot climates describe. Mostly because I was looking at a few specific breeds and one (maybe some, when I saw the one I decided to start asking questions) said it was a cold climate chicken...so would it NOT be good for 80-90 degree summers?

I'm also curious as to noise level, as we live in a neighborhood and I don't want my neighbors to hate me, although I'm sure they could get some free eggs out of me. We will NOT be getting roosters. This is for eggs only...and fertilizer for the garden ;)

We are looking at getting 4 or 5 chickens, and I'm debating on whether I want a mix, or all the same. These are the breeds I have listed down as potential pets/egg layers:
- Easter Eggers
- Dominques
- Golden Sex-Link - the cold climate one that made me curious
- Plymouth Rock
- Orpington

I am open to any and all adivce, opinions, etc. We aren't buying anything tomorrow, so I have plenty of time to learn and decide.

Thank you!!

My advice does not come from experience or any particularly thorough study, but as my personal preference, I wish I could have bought Plymouth Rocks. The Rocks are good in both climates and are great egg layers.

Build the coop before buying the chicks, that is something I wish I did myself but couldn't be patient enough to do it.

I do believe you stated in a different thread that you live in Kansas City, MO. Follow all the instructions of this link, this will save you a lot of hassle in the future.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10156/level2/PTIICOOR_CH14AN.html#PTIICOOR_CH14AN_S14-15KESMANFOPE

Thank you for the link!! I was looking at that earlier, and I read somewhere that there was a vote to allow the coops to be closer to neightbors if they agree to it, but I will investigate that further for sure.

I've been drawn to the Rocks - I think they are really pretty and being good in all temps is a huge plus.

Thank you for your input!!

Well Orps are definitley not good for 90 - 100 FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME they will be just fine if it is only like that a few days out of the year... but they are AMAZING in the cold.....

welcome-byc.gif

Well I'd rather play it safe than sorry, so I have a feeling I will be taking the Orpingtons and Golden Sex-Links off the list. We have mild summers and winters sometimes, but we can have harsh ones, too. This winter we only had ONE snow, but last winter we were nearly shut down!

Thank you for your reply!

Well I'd rather play it safe than sorry, so I have a feeling I will be taking the Orpingtons and Golden Sex-Links off the list. We have mild summers and winters sometimes, but we can have harsh ones, too. This winter we only had ONE snow, but last winter we were nearly shut down!

Thank you for your reply!

actually the golden sex link wont have a hard time.... they are much more heat tolerant than orps, but just not like middle east tolerant =] the orps can weigh close to 12 pounds whearas golden sex links 6 or 7....

very good information, thank you!! glad i don't have to take all the golden ones off my list :)

I still suggest you wait another week or so before deciding... one of the worst things is losing a chicken because you didn't do quite enough research... so just keep looking around for reviews, info, etc.. i suggest for at least 3-6 hours of research before coming to a decision =]

Hope this helps
-Caleb

first things first: Before you get too excited. Make sure your allowed to have them. You said you have neighbors. Make 100% sure that its legal to have chickens in your city. In your neighborhood. In your exact address. Otherwise.. you may end up in trouble and with a broken heart.

Then... research research research. And when you think your done with that... go to someones place that has birds and discover you know nothing. ;) lol

Back
Top Bottom