Don't tell the wife, I'm growing fodder in the 2nd bathroom!

Whoo boy, are you in trouble @gtaus After 31 years of marriage, you knew the rules and yet, you broke them. smh

I was looking forward to reading your follow up report but unless the fodder can grow in the dog house during the Minnesota winter, I'm afraid the tower (and maybe you) are doomed.

It's been nice knowing you! :lau

I recommend starting with a hearing problem, then move to culpable deniability, then finish off by changing the subject. It won’t work forever, but might buy you a little time until you can think of something better. :lau

Wow, you must be some kind of a husband defense lawyer! That's a complete strategy there. The only thing I could think to make your approach even better is to be walking backwards toward the door while buying time, and then bolting into the open for an escape. :wee

Last edited:
Whoo boy, are you in trouble @gtaus After 31 years of marriage, you knew the rules and yet, you broke them. smh

I was looking forward to reading your follow up report but unless the fodder can grow in the dog house during the Minnesota winter, I'm afraid the tower (and maybe you) are doomed.

Now I'm worried, we have no dog. So I'd have to pass the time in the chicken coop. Fortunately, I bought a Cozy Coop heater which will help. And my waterer has a metal heating plate so at least I hope to have some water. I suppose I could burn the tower wood for extra heat. But none of that would last very long. Yeah, I'm in bad shape for sure when found out. Maybe it's time to buy that heated ice fish house with sleeping beds....

If you take your shouers in there, you will be washing down the barley dreignage and it should not smell.

I put the fodder tower into the shower bathtub of our second bathroom. So there will be no more taking showers in that bathroom. But this is our spare bathroom which we only use for visiting family - usually in the summer months because we live on a lake. In past years, it never gets used in the winter.

As to the smell, yesterday I soaked the first bin of barley overnight and drained it out this morning. So far, no smell. I'll start a second bin soaking today, and probably a new bin everyday until the fodder tower is full. I hope that by not collecting any barley water in the bottom bin and leave it standing for 12 hours will help reduce the smell I noticed when I grew the barley fodder in the garage. I'll know more in a few days when I have a number of bins with moist sprouting barley seeds in the bins.

And just to be clear about the smell I reported in the garage from growing barley in the tower, it was not really offensive. It smelled like wet barley and in the garage my wife never complained about it. When you walked past it, it smelled like maybe you were in a barn. Not a bad, offensive odor, but probably not something you would want your inside house to smell like - if any of that makes sense.

:lau:gig:lau

Wow, you must some kind of a husband defense lawyer! That's a complete strategy there. The only thing I could think to make your approach even better is to be walking backwards toward the door while buying time, and then bolting into the open for an escape. :wee

'Flight' is my DH's first line of defense too. :highfive: :lau

It couldnt hurt to change the subject by mentioning that you're about to cook/buy her favorite food for dinner. Food bribes are always a welcome distraction here.

It couldnt hurt to change the subject by mentioning that you're about to cook/buy her favorite food for dinner. Food bribes are always a welcome distraction here.

Shucks, if I end up having to take the wife out for a make up dinner, that will cost a lot more than what I save on growing the fodder....I guess I did not think that one through very well. :hit

Back
Top Bottom