Don't throw away your Halloween pumpkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimmywalt, Nov 3, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Don't throw away your Halloween pumpkins.......... Chickens LOVE them.

Just split it in half and let them have at it!

Here is the inside of 1/2 of ours after a couple hours. It was a large pumpkin and we only have 5 chickens!

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have heard that they act as a natural wormer. i would like to know for sure

3. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    We were planning to give our pumpkins to our girls too. We never ended up carving ours so they will be extra fresh and good [​IMG]. I never heard that about the wormer before but would love to know the answer too!

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    This is a good post. Im sure a lot of people dont think to toss them in the chicken yard. I also plan to feed all of our pumpkins to the animals. They love pumpkin and its much better than tossing them in the woods. I even asked my family for all there pumpkin guts when they were carving pumpkins before Halloween. Im happy because we have at least 10 uncarved pumpkins this year of various sizes so all the animals will get a treat. I also heard pumpkin is a natural wormer.

5. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013
  6. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    SWEET! I will try this.

7. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Last year, I broke open 20 pumpkins for the chickens. Over time, they ate all but the skin and stem of the pumpkins. Of all the seeds there were, only one pumpkin vine sprouted this year. They ate pumpkin for weeks. It was great, especially since all the pumpkins were free.

Chris

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    how many chickens do you have? 20 pumpkins = alot of chicken heheh

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If they aren't carved, don't give them all of them at once. Pumpkins will last for months of the skin is intact and they never froze. Give them one every few days and make them last.

10. jimmywalt

Mar 24, 2013
    I was thinking I would chop them into nice size pieces and freeze them in the bags that you bring your groceries home in. Every so often take one out of the freezer and give them for a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by