1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't use heat bulbs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bawk2theFuture, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I am so sorry. I'm so glad that you and your family weren't hurt! There is just nothing I can say to try to ease your suffering. Just know that beating yourself up won't ease your mind and you don't need the added pressure on yourself or your family right now. You thought you were doing the right thing, and in the end that's what we all want to do. If your experience helps save one more person from your anguish, then your bravery and honesty is to be commended.

1 person likes this.
  2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    So sorry for you loss but thank you for posting what happened. So many people think they must have heat in the coop without thinking what could be the consequences. Perhaps this will save a chicken's life.

3. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

4. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Rebuild your coop and start again.

Most of us have lost chickens at one time or another. We will be there rooting for you, your husband, and your new puppy.

5. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Any mistake we make that ends up in the death of our chickens is just so painful, there are no words to describe how it makes you feel. All you can do is hang onto the hope that it will hurt less each day you manage to get through.

Like, Blooie and the others, I feel your pain. It's sick-making. Nothing else comes close.

A little thing like tying a cotton or jute string to the heat lamp to secure it so it won't accidentally fall can be our undoing when the hot metal shade heats the string to combustion, falls down into the bedding underneath, and very quickly all is lost. The bulb itself doesn't even need to come into contact with a flammable material.

Other times, chickens themselves, in the midst of a squabble, can knock against the heat lamp and jar it out of position, resulting in one of the chickens catching fire and what then follows is pure tragedy.

There are just so many different ways heat lamps can cause more heartache than we can handle that the word simply must get around that they shouldn't be used around chickens, period.

I am so, so, achingly sorry you have to have this awful burden of grief.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    First and foremost

Sorry for your loss.

Your not the first and sadly you will
    "NOT" be the last.

Thank you for having the courage
    to share your Tragedy

Hardly a year goes by without a similar post.

If one person takes action to safe guard their coop to prevent something like this from happening again your loss would not have been in vain.
    One coop fire is too much in my opinion.

If we could get manufactures to provide a "SAFETY CHAIN" in addition to the hanging bracket or at least a warning of the need of one on brooder and heat lamps it would go a long way in preventing "SOME" coop fires.

Another safe guard would be to have people use "GROUND FAULT" outlets (are code now in all bathrooms) when running extension cords to their coop or out buildings. The inconvenience of loosing power to your out building is far better than what can happen. Chickens do attract rodents which can initiate fires through extension cords.

[​IMG]

Chicken owners can ill afford "NOT" Employing both of these safe guards when running electricity to a coop especially when using extension cords.

Many times either of these two devices would have went along way in preventing most coop fires.

I have the feeling there is a large majority of chicken owners out there that have electricity in there coop. As long as it is done wisely abiding to electrical codes there are few problems.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  7. csneill

csneill Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    Northeast Nebraska
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I think all of us chicken people can understand your heartbreak. And not just chicken people but pet owners in general. Thinking of you.

8. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    2 people like this.
  9. Bawk2theFuture

Bawk2theFuture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio
    Yeah the heat lamp fell. There was a heat lamp sized hole burned into the floor of the coop.

10. Bawk2theFuture

Bawk2theFuture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio
    Im really hoping that people take this seriously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by