Don't you just love ducks and ducklings

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Sandy springs Atlanta Georgia USA
Right now is my very first time dealing with ducklings or even ducks in general.but some of you guys are probably way more experienced and have a lot of funny stories about your ducks and ducklings you would like to share I created this thread because I want you to share all your super funny stories about your ducks or ducklings can't wait to hear them.

I'm so glad you're loving your ducks! I sure love mine - I have two welsh harlequins and three pekins. I thought having them as ducklings was so fun!! I wish I could go back to their baby stage and relive it again, it was so fun! They lived in a wading pool in my kitchen until they were full grown while we waited for my husband to finish their living space. My ducks are beloved pets and do lots of funny and endearing things. Lots of work, but so fun.

Welcome to the new experience of having ducks, boy are you in for a big surprise if you haven't done your research first before getting them. :gigDon't be fooled by their cute looks, they are very messy little creatures and lots of work. You will either love them or wish you never had them. LOL

We are Newbie duck owners also and jumped in head first last spring when we decided to get a few ducklings, twelve and four chicks. Our small flock of sixteen is all doing great for the most part, but it has been a very challenging road to have ducks as pets over any cat or dog.

I am not trying to sound negative about having them as pets, IMO, ducks don't make the best pets for some people, they are lost of work as posted above by @CoriM.

We love all our ducks, they all have names and very unique personalities to each of them. They are also very comical at times to watch the silly things ducks do, they LOVE their water.

How many do you have, how old and what breed, any pics to post? Best of luck and please keep us post. :)

Yes, I agree with @416bigbore. I do advise people to think twice before diving into ducks. Their love of water brings with it a lot more challenges! Before I got ducks I read up about them and from what I read they are supposed to be more hardy and not as susceptible to illness as chickens are. But, I've had one medical issue after another with my ducks. I never thought I would have to be playing vet-assistant as much as I do. And that aspect is also very time consuming. The only thing that gives me pause to having ducklings again, which I would love to do, is that I'm not sure I want to keep up the level of care they need for the rest of my life - or be tied down to finding someone else to take over if I ever want to leave my house. But if you have time to give ducks the attention they need, they can be charming and lovable!

We started with two small Mallard duckling hens and four Isa Brown chicks for fresh eggs. This adventure all started out fine until I thought it would be kind of cool to find the two girls a BF. So I found a guy who had ten Rouen/Pekin mixed ducklings for sale figuring we should be able to get the girls a BF out of that batch and rehome the others.

All good in theory until those cute little things start to grow and you get attached to them all and the rehoming Idea goes out the window! :he

I don't think we did to bad with that batch of ten that were not sexed, four drakes and six hens. That is how our small flock of sixteen all started. :gig I know the ratio isn't right, but we have been very fortunate they all get along great for the most part. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting ducks! I jumped in this year as well and I love these little miscreants
And you came to the right place. Everyone here has been super nice and helpful with any questions

as for funny stories.When I am out in their pen my ducks like to “sneak up” on me, as if I can’t notice 5 splashing, chattering ducks approaching, and then one will nip at the back of my calf and then they all scatter and act like they’ve been across the pen the whole time. It cracks me up every time

Congratulations on getting ducks! I jumped in this year as well and I love these little miscreants
And you came to the right place. Everyone here has been super nice and helpful with any questions

as for funny stories.When I am out in their pen my ducks like to “sneak up” on me, as if I can’t notice 5 splashing, chattering ducks approaching, and then one will nip at the back of my calf and then they all scatter and act like they’ve been across the pen the whole time. It cracks me up every time
That is too funny, I though only mine done that. The funny part of that is the chickens started doing that to me first and then the ducks caught on to it! :gig

Enjoy your ducklings while they're ducklings! I'm sure by now you know how much work they are. But it's been a wonderful experience for me. I'm with @CoriM I wish I could go back to those days. So many sweet memories. They used to stay close to me when we were outside sitting in the grass by the kiddie pool. They would pop their little heads up and look at me everytime they heard a new sound, waiting for me to say, it's ok. Then they'd go right back to snoozing. Now they roam the fairly large lake we have and come home for dinner and nighttime in their coop. I miss them 😞.
But they don't have a care in the world. Here's a pic of them snoozing on the lake.

Attachments

• 20201014_142414.jpg
    20201014_142414.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
I have three white Pekin ducks we're pretty sure they're jumbos because they've grown huge in like almost three weeks I have one of their adorable faces as my keyboard and they are hilarious keep me posted on some of your funny stories and here are some photos

Attachments

• 20201112_165128.jpg
    20201112_165128.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201026_155651.jpg
    20201026_155651.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 6
Aww, so cute! Pekins are my favorite! My three were babies last spring. One of them also grew incredibly fast and I was convinced she was a jumbo. Are you supplementing extra niacin? About three weeks my biggest girl started developing splay leg and we ended up needing to supplement with liquid vitamin D and splint her legs for several weeks to reverse the condition. I think they are bred to just gain weight so quickly so they can be harvested as soon as 8 weeks old, and their bodies can't always take it. The liquid vitamin D does wonders!

Back
Top Bottom