Dosage for Duramycin/Tetracycline??

I tried to edit my thread above which failed. I looked up an older post of Casportpony's where she weighed the Duramycin10 on a gram scale (of course she did--she always does, LOL!) and the 800 mg dose is 1.5 TB. Some older posts recommend 3 tsp or 1 TB.I would trust the 1.5 TB per gallon dose

See post 17 here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/657654/proper-dosage-of-duramycin-10/10

Last edited:
There is 6.4 oz. or 181 gram to a package , the package says 6.4 oz. OR 181 grams mixed with 12.5 gal. of water gives a mix for 800 mg , so do the math. 181 g divided by 12.5 gal = 14.48 grams per gal. ONE LEVEL TEASPOON = 5 GRAMS { USE A MEASUREING SPOON } so the safe way to make sure you don't over dose is one level teaspoon to a halt gal of water or two level teaspoon to a gal. ---------that the dosage recommended by Durvet the makers of duramycin for 800 mg dose . That's the dosage I would use to make sure it killed any and all bacteria.. my little hens have been on this dosage for 5 days now and are doing good . one of my little hens was near death and today she was clucking and eating with the rest of them. So to sum it up -------- TWO LEVEL TEASPOON PER GAL.--------ONE LEVEL TEASPOON PER 1/2 GAL. AND 1/4 TEASPOON PER QT. =700 TO 800 MG DOSE Good luck
This is off the Durvet Brochure for Duramycin10:
Duramycin 10
(tetracycline HCl soluble powder)
For use in drinking water for prevention and treatment
of diseases susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.
• Contains broad spectrum anti-bacterial action of
tetracycline hydrochloride.
• Each packet contains 10 grams of tetracycline
hydrochloride activity
• Good solubility.
• Convenient package size.
• Multi species label: swine, calves, chickens, and
turkeys
6.4 oz. foil packet, 62 packets per pail
UPC# 7-45801-10570-6

E-mail [email protected]
To make 1
gallon:
400mg dose =
1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.)
per gallon of water
800mg dose =
1 Tbsp (2 oz.)
per gallon of water

Quote: Those instruction are incorrect. Look below and see if you have one of the products shown. If not, let me know which one you have and I'll calculate the dose for you.

Oxytetracycline

Package weighs 181.5 grams and has 10 grams oxytetracycline.
10 ÷ 181.5 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% oxytetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One teaspoon weighs about 3 grams which = 165mg x 5 teaspoons = 825 mg
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 5 teaspoons (825mg is close enough)

Oxytetracycline

This package weighs 280 grams
Package contains 102.4 grams oxytetracycline

102.4 / 280 = 0.37 , which means that it's 37% oxytetracycline and 63% filler
370 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 370mg = 1110 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~3/4 teaspoons

Tetracycline Powder 5.5% (55mg per gram)

Package weighs 181 grams and has 10 grams tetracycline.
10 ÷ 181 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% tetracycline, 94.5% filler
One gram = 55mg
One tablespoon weighs about 10 grams which = 550 mg
800 ÷ 550 = 1.45 tablespoons
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 1.5 tablespoons (825mg is close enough)

Oxytetracycline - 343

102.4 / 135.5 = 0.76 , which means that it's 76% oxytetracycline and 24% filler
760 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 760mg = 2280 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~1/3 slightly rounded teaspoon

-Kathy

Quote:
Kathy, that's a good question
smile.png

For some reason I did not have that info...so I started searching. Some info is "archived" but it looks like you can give 7-14days.
Tetracycline (soluable powder). Mix a fresh batch everyday. (Brand name Duramycin would be the same 7-14days). A couple of on line Vet Supply Stores I looked at state "Do not administer to birds for more than 14 consecutive days." So I suppose 14days is the limit.

Of course, it's always best to read and re-confirm the info given.

Curious to see if Kim (@Eggcessive ) has any additional/different info.

Tetracycline:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/tetracycline-hydrochloride-soluble-powder-324.html
https://www.drugs.com/vet/tetracycline-soluble-powder-324.html

Duramycin:
https://www.drugs.com/vet/duramycin-10.html

Last edited:
I have an old bag of Duramycin 10 (tetracycline.) It is mixed 1 TB (for 400mg) and 2 TB (for the 800mg dose) in a gallon of water. You can give it 7 days but no longer than 14. Of course, I would use the higher dose for anything.

Well I was wrong. I just looked again, and it doesn't say exactly what 800mg, is. Looked up some old threads where most people used 1 tablespoonful (3 teaspoonsful) for the 800mg dosage.

Then came across this post from our friend Casportpony from 6/19/16 who actually weighed it in grams:

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful! So with your tablespoon and your bag of Duramycin, 800 mg = ~1.6 tablespoons

This is why:
One bag makes 12.5 gallons, so it's 20 / 12.5 = 1.6 tablespoons per gallon

Thanks for your help! FWIW, with my tablespoon it was 18 per bag, so I would use 1.5 tablespoons per gallon. 1.5 or 1.6, either way is fine.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote:
WRONG!
I had to give my chickens 200-400 mg of tetracycline hydrochloride per day in a gallon of water for seven days as a preventative just in case they might have caught the respiratory disease from my rooster that spent a week at the vet's.

I knew that 400 mg = 0.014109 oz . = 0.084654 teaspoon

My pharmacist used a special scale and measured out 400 mg. It's about 1/20+/- of a teaspoon. Since I have 12 bbs Orpingtons drinking the water, I put 1/10+/- of a teaspoon in two gallons of water. I have to change the water every day for seven days though because the tetracycline powder/water solution only lasts for one day.
ETA Also, I have to throw the eggs down the garbage disposal for two weeks. They cannot be used for humans or dogs or chickens for those two weeks.

Last edited:
Ok, I have to start this tetracycline (Duramycine or however that is spelled) and now I'm confused, a bit... Is it 1 tenth of a teaspoon per two gallons of water or 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. I need to start today.... Help!

Back
Top Bottom