Dosage for Duramycin/Tetracycline??

There is 6.4 oz. or 181 gram to a package , the package says 6.4 oz. OR 181 grams mixed with 12.5 gal. of water gives a mix for 800 mg , so do the math. 181 g divided by 12.5 gal = 14.48 grams per gal. ONE LEVEL TEASPOON = 5 GRAMS { USE A MEASUREING SPOON } so the safe way to make sure you don't over dose is one level teaspoon to a halt gal of water or two level teaspoon to a gal. ---------that the dosage recommended by Durvet the makers of duramycin for 800 mg dose . That's the dosage I would use to make sure it killed any and all bacteria.. my little hens have been on this dosage for 5 days now and are doing good . one of my little hens was near death and today she was clucking and eating with the rest of them. So to sum it up -------- TWO LEVEL TEASPOON PER GAL.--------ONE LEVEL TEASPOON PER 1/2 GAL. AND 1/4 TEASPOON PER QT. =700 TO 800 MG DOSE Good luck
This link makes it simple, scroll down: One tablespoon per gallon of water for the 800mg dose.
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

There is 6.4 oz. or 181 gram to a package , the package says 6.4 oz. OR 181 grams mixed with 12.5 gal. of water gives a mix for 800 mg , so do the math. 181 g divided by 12.5 gal = 14.48 grams per gal. ONE LEVEL TEASPOON = 5 GRAMS { USE A MEASUREING SPOON } so the safe way to make sure you don't over dose is one level teaspoon to a halt gal of water or two level teaspoon to a gal. ---------that the dosage recommended by Durvet the makers of duramycin for 800 mg dose . That's the dosage I would use to make sure it killed any and all bacteria.. my little hens have been on this dosage for 5 days now and are doing good . one of my little hens was near death and today she was clucking and eating with the rest of them. So to sum it up -------- TWO LEVEL TEASPOON PER GAL.--------ONE LEVEL TEASPOON PER 1/2 GAL. AND 1/4 TEASPOON PER QT. =700 TO 800 MG DOSE Good luck
Did you weigh it? I agree that one teaspoon = 4.92892ml and that 5ml of water = 5 grams, but powder is not the same density as water, so they don't weigh the same.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I already know how to mix it
We just want people to know how the mfg says it should be mixed.
  • 400mg dose = 1/2 tablespoon per US gallon
  • 800mg dose = 1 tablespoon per US gallon
Their information is correct.

Lol, please don't get me started on this like people did with Corid.
hide.gif

-Kathy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I scramble the eggs and feed them to the chickens
Save eggs PRIOR to dosing birds with antibiotics or wormers. There's residue in the eggs after dosing with antibiotics or wormers, however slight, feeding the eggs back to the chickens will help bacteria build resistance to the product. Also it can possibly extend the withdrawal time, same is true for wormers. You've heard of antibiotic resistance in humans, same is true for chickens.

Last edited:
I already know how to mix it

You're also feeding your chickens their own eggs which have the antibiotics in them, which is adding in a higher dose to their body, and probably not STOPPING the antibiotics as needed (since the eggs continue to have trace amounts after the chickens are done with their dosages).

Casportpony already pointed out the problem. It really comes down to the fact that we're talking about weight versus volume in the long run. It's hard to judge how to convert the weight to volume without knowing exactly what the substance is. It's like saying which is heavier - a ton of feathers or a ton of rocks? They're both the same weight (a ton), but it's going to take MANY, MANY more feathers to equal a ton.

Also, keep in mind that adding an antibiotic to their drinking water doesn't necessarily mean that the chickens are going to DRINK the right amount of that water for their body. A lethargic chicken probably won't even bother moving to the water container, much less standing up to drink it. And if you are forcing it on them, are you giving them enough water? Too much water?

It's hard to say. So really, the dosage given on labels is a "safe" dose range to begin with. Your chicken may be really, really thirsty, and drink a lot more than usual which could technically overdose them, right? That's why the dosages are set where they are. It's a "safe" range, and it's actually okay to go slightly higher if you make a mistake. If these dosages could be over-dosed that easily, they would be available by prescription only.

Although I would VERY, VERY strongly recommend giving them fresh yogurt during and after using antibiotics, too. And luckily.... I posted the instructions for making it right here.

Yes I know. I said there is 5 grams to a teaspoon and there need to be 14.48 gram to a gallon I also said do the math and I said that ---one teaspoon will mix a 1/2 gal.. I said use a measuring teaspoon.

edited by staff

I have a scale that will weight down to 1/100 of a gram and I have the conversion charts, Some people don't know there is a difference between the weight of a solid substance and a fluid ounce-Example-one fluid ounce of milk will weight more then an ounce of water because of the milk fats

Back
Top Bottom