Dosage for Oxytetracycline???? **NEW VIDEOS OF SICK CHICKENS ADDED PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Oct 15, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

They book said once a day, but it did not say for how many days.

-Kathy

2. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    awesome thank you, and its okay I was sort of expecting it after the way she was struggling this morning. I hated to leave her and go to work but I had no other choice... Do I just call them for info? I have a feeling this might cost me an arm and a leg lol.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Not sure what it will cost, but some states have grants in place that will cover it. The head of the dept can also waive the fee, so keep that in mind.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Sorry to hear about the chick. Hope the other one will get better. Thank you casportpony. I'm new myself and was trying to help with what little I know lol.

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Thanks for your posts, it's what made me think to look up doses for birds and it looks like your dose is pretty close to what the book said. :D

-Kathy

7. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Lol I was just relaying the information that I received from experienced people on this site. I want to thank all of y'all for helping all the newbies like me. Had I not joined this site, my hen would've died.

1 person likes this.
  8. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    thank you so much all of yall.... my hen seems to be feeling a little better, so hopefully this will make her feel even better. I found out tonight she definitely loves yogurt! I have not seen her eat with such gusto since she's been sick.

It's really nice to have such a supportive community when you just aren't sure you're doing the right thing. Not sure if there are just a bunch of nasties going around right now or what, but I have never had this much of a problem with so many chickens at one time!! So thankful for this forum, maybe one day I will have the knowledge to pay it forward!

9. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    sorry I did not see this until after i dosed her.. wasn't sure so I went ahead and gave her .2, i figured that was a safe halfway point. I would say she weighs about 5 pounds. I do not have a scale int he house or I would weigh her lol. She is a normal healthy sized hen. Keeping finger, toes, eyes, legs, arms crossed this helps some. still not sure what to do with her when she is better tho!!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is she today?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by