Dot has no beak.

She was the biggest hen. Her beak was fine and then one day all she had left was a sliver. She does eat and drink. I will post pictures after work. She is thinner. I put gruel out in 5 different places so she can eat and not get picked on. Right. Chickens don't have lips. I was attempting humor. Please be kind. I am cautious about forums because they seem to be harsh on the persons with questions.

Haha ok nothing bad intended with the chicken lips, it's just that some people post here and really would say something like that. I actually did chuckle when I read it. Her whole beak was just gone one day? WOW. Was it bleeding badly?

Last edited:
Don't worry about posting on this forum - I've found most everyone to be especially kind and generous. Occasionally someone will "sound" a bit short (I'm guilty of this) and it's usually because they're typing a quick response to try to help as fast as possible. When I catch myself doing this - I try to either edit, or apologize. But, regardless, try to read the response giving the person the benefit of the doubt - ie: read it like they're saying it with a smile on their face! Questions are good! I've got TONS of them. Take care and I hope you find a solution for your girl...

smiley faces always make it better!
lol.png

I have Dot and a friend, Kolleen, separated. That is encouraging that her beak may grow back. Picture is still pending. I will get some chick feed. One of the black Amercaunas, Moxie, had Dot by the neck when I went out to separate them! Yikes! I don't know if I can ever look Moxie in the eye again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. I think she can survive just fine and has enough beak to continue eating "gruel." I believe you should seperate her with one other low on the pecking order flockmate, in a small pen next your other birds. Build them a small coop. You can add a couple of drops of poultry nutri drench into her gruel and stir it well. Poultry nutri drench is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Stop the nutri drench after a week, it can cause diarrhea, then start it up again 2 weeks later etc... If there's a chance the beak will regrow, the nutri drench will help. Consider feeding her gamebird feed crumbles as well, it's higher in protein than regular feed. It can also be made easily into gruel, just add plenty of water to it, it will help keep her hydrated. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you! You are all very nice and I appreciate the advice. I can't even imagine how her beak was broken off. I googled it and found nothing about chickens losing thier beaks. I asked 2 chicken experts in my area and I just received blank horrified looks. It is horrifying! And they had no prevous experience. I will keep you updated on her progress.

I have read that if they have mites the mites can actually perforate the beak and cause it to fall off. I had an uncle who's blue and gold maccaw lost its whole beak one day and it did grow back. As I recall it grew back rather quickly. Hope she does well!

Back
Top Bottom