Double Checking on Coop Placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jjay897, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jjay897

jjay897 New Egg

Jan 18, 2012
    I'm going to be building my coop within the next 2 weeks. There are only two places in my yard that it can be built. One of them is in direct sun all of the time, one is in full shade all of the time.

From what I've been reading, most people would prefer to have their coop in the shade rather than the full sun. Is this true? I know that in the summer it can get very hot inside the coop, but the hens should be fine in the winter.

Just looking for some confirmation, reassurance or opinions on the matter. Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. In the shade is generally better. Chickens can handle cold much better than heat.

The other thing I'll mention on coop placement (and run too) is to watch your drainage. You want your coop and run to stay dry. Don't put them in low spots where water will stand or in places where water will run into them. I'd prefer to have mine in the sun than in a low spot.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Ideally, locate it under deciduous trees so you get good summer shade and winter sun. And yes, avoid building where water collects. Slopes are your friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by