Double layer chicken wire?

sue121507

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2015
Michigan
I know hardware mesh is usually recommended, but I came across some really cheap chicken wire. Do you think it would be safe if I did a double layer of it?

Weasels are going to get into a run unless massive amounts of money are spent to 100% predator proof. That's what a coop is for, night time protection when things like weasels come out to play.

That said then there is only protection from stray dogs, fox, possum, skunk etc. which will dig under the run in day time. I use 2x4 welded wire. Comes in 14 gauge 4ft X 50ft rolls for $35 at Lowes or Home Depot. Animals can't chew through 14 gauge metal. My run is encircled bottom 4ft with that and then cut lengths in half to have a skirt laying on ground under and out from run walls. Dig proof made easy. The rest of my run is covered with plastic green garden fencing. Yup, cheep and really only stopping birds from getting out and hawks from flying in. Not to mention stray dogs from jumping over the 4ft of welded wire.

Last edited:
I don't know the terminal longevity. I used it on a grow out pen 5 years ago and the plastic is not brittle or seem to be breaking down at all in the sun yet. So my guess is it lasts, excellent UV protection. Unlike the plastic water fountains and feeders that deteriorate in the sun in less than two years.
Quick question on the garden fencing - how well does it hold up over time? I am considering using it for my upcoming alteration project to my existing pasture fence - just need it to keep the chickens in, not anything else out for what I have in mind - and have already listed it over poultry netting for a bit of extra longevity and a *little* more quality on my options list. Would love to hear from you since you have used it.

Last edited:
You gotta use 1/2" hardware wire. Weasels and other rodents can easily squeeze thru 1" wire. Believe me, a weasel will kill all your birds if it gets in! My neighbor in Arizona used chicken wire to cage them in. He built this elaborate outoor area off his existing shed and one day some dogs came and tore right through that chicken wire during the daytime and killed all his chickens. Save yourself the heartbreak and do it right!

Raccoons can bite through chicken wire, and one was so intent on getting in our house after the cat food he tore the kitty door off the wall! They get huge around here. My runs are 1/2 inch hardware cloth up the sides for the first 3 feet, then 4 feet of 2X4 inch welded wire, which also covers the top. A welded wire apron about 14 inches wide is staked to the ground under pine needles all around the sides. The perches are at least 18 inches from any outside wall of the run. I've seen lots of dig marks, but no predator has ever gotten in. So grateful for that! It is not overkill, it is worth it!

If it's the only thing between your chickens and danger...I would still spring for the tightest hardware cloth I could afford. Chicken wire is just so pliable, animals that use their hands will pull and tug until they find a way. Hardware cloth just really doesn't allow for that. Also, think if you sat on a double layer of chicken cloth...would it hold you up or would you fall in? Depending on the expanse you are covering chicken wire just really might not be up for a large dog jumping on top and getting tangled up in it.
Chicken wire will hold back a chicken, not a predator. Just like if you use electric fence you set it for your predators size, not the animal inside. (To the person who said its called chicken wire for a reason.)

Back
Top Bottom