Double layer chicken wire?

We are thinking burying chicken wire in a curve 18" or so underground to keep digging predators out. We will overlap the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth from the ground to about 3' above ground. We were thinking of using 2"x4" welded wire mesh above 3' to the roof line at 7 feet. The roof will be corrugated fiberglass panels with the 2"x4" wire mesh underneath. Has anyone had difficulties with rats or other vermin climbing the 1/2" hardware cloth and entering through the 2"x4" welded wire?

Newbie here. Planning on starting next spring so getting tips and pointers here now. I am planning on an elevated coop about 2.5 feet above grade and then fenced in yard with about 6.5 feet high run that's partially covered. Is the digging down of fence material necessary for hens that will only be out during daylight hours? Coop would be locked for evening and night hours. Was just thinking of securing railroad ties along the outside permiter of run. I don't know much about local redators in our area (Southern UT) because we just oved move to rural area from a big city. Thanks for pointers.

I know hardware mesh is usually recommended, but I came across some really cheap chicken wire. Do you think it would be safe if I did a double layer of it?
what's wrong with a single layer of chicken wire?  It's called chicken wire for a reason...
dude a raccoon just went through my chicken wire like it was paper. It killed every single chicken and then killed the dog next door. It's called chicken wire because it keeps controls chickens. Not raccoons.

guess I need "raccoon wire"

the run is 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom 2 ft of the run and chicken wire for the top half of the run...

the coop itself is within the enclosed run but currently lacking a pop door...next project...

We are thinking burying chicken wire in a curve 18" or so underground to keep digging predators out. We will overlap the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth from the ground to about 3' above ground. We were thinking of using 2"x4" welded wire mesh above 3' to the roof line at 7 feet. The roof will be corrugated fiberglass panels with the 2"x4" wire mesh underneath. Has anyone had difficulties with rats or other vermin climbing the 1/2" hardware cloth and entering through the 2"x4" welded wire?

Absolutely! Rats will climb all over a pen to find the one single opening to get through, if that's all there is. The purpose of having 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 2-3 feet of a coop is to prevent a raccoon from standing on the ground and reaching in to grab a chicken. It does nothing against rats unless you totally enclose the coop. Rats can squeeze through a 1/2 X 1 inch opening!

I no longer bury wire. Too much work. It is just as effective to lay an 18-24 inch width of 2X4 welded wire on the ground, attach it to the bottom of the vertical walls of the coop, and tack it down with 5-6 inch landscape staples. The grass will grow through it so quickly that you won't even know it's there. You can run the lawn mower over it without worry if you've tacked it down properly. But the predators can't dig through it without backing up 2 feet before they start, which is just not something that they do. So great digging protection without any of the trenching. Now I only bury wire if I'm also going to put in a french drain.

Absolutely! Rats will climb all over a pen to find the one single opening to get through, if that's all there is. The purpose of having 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom 2-3 feet of a coop is to prevent a raccoon from standing on the ground and reaching in to grab a chicken. It does nothing against rats unless you totally enclose the coop. Rats can squeeze through a 1/2 X 1 inch opening!

I no longer bury wire. Too much work. It is just as effective to lay an 18-24 inch width of 2X4 welded wire on the ground, attach it to the bottom of the vertical walls of the coop, and tack it down with 5-6 inch landscape staples. The grass will grow through it so quickly that you won't even know it's there. You can run the lawn mower over it without worry if you've tacked it down properly. But the predators can't dig through it without backing up 2 feet before they start, which is just not something that they do. So great digging protection without any of the trenching. Now I only bury wire if I'm also going to put in a french drain.
rats will enter even if not through the wire. They will tunnel underneath for long distances. Unless your pen has a 1/4" mesh floor, top and all sides, you will get rats. Best not to have any food available at night. It is the food that attracts them and nowhere for them to hide and build a nest. 2x4 wire will also allow wild birds to enter. Cardinals, doves,blue jays and such. Just do the best you can to keep your chickens safe from racoons. If you have small chicks, lock them in securely at night in a 1/4 mesh brooder and let them out in the day. Rats have been known to wipe out baby chicks especially at night.

Quote:
Good point. They can easily tunnel for 50 feet or more. I have my broody apartments inside my barn. They have 2X4 lumber frames, covered with 2X4 welded wire, then covered again with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It sits on a concrete floor. The floor is covered with foam tiles (like is used in weight rooms), then covered with shavings. So far, totally predator proof.

Good point. They can easily tunnel for 50 feet or more. I have my broody apartments inside my barn. They have 2X4 lumber frames, covered with 2X4 welded wire, then covered again with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. It sits on a concrete floor. The floor is covered with foam tiles (like is used in weight rooms), then covered with shavings. So far, totally predator proof.

I am SOOO envious. I wish I had a barn, but I have to make do keeping my brooders in a secure pen.
jumpy.gif
So Far so good.

Good advice here, guys. My parents found me a roll of chicken wire and seemed disappointed that I said I might not have much use for it. They still seem confused as to why I want to use hardware cloth instead. I was thinking potentially of using it as a partial roof over the run, or maybe as my wire curtain around the perimeter of the run for anti-digging, but not sure that it would hold up against a determined digger. Still trying to figure out what to do with the stuff...

Good advice here, guys. My parents found me a roll of chicken wire and seemed disappointed that I said I might not have much use for it. They still seem confused as to why I want to use hardware cloth instead. I was thinking potentially of using it as a partial roof over the run, or maybe as my wire curtain around the perimeter of the run for anti-digging, but not sure that it would hold up against a determined digger. Still trying to figure out what to do with the stuff...

It's great for keeping chickens in place, just not for keeping predators out, as it's not strong enough. In most situations you can use it for a daytime run if you don't free range, as the predator pressure is not as high during the day. That way they can get out and play during the day, but be secured in a predator proof coop at night. I definitely wouldn't waste it. Just use it for situations that only require chicken control, not predator control. It would work well over your run if you only need to keep out raptors during the day. It will not be adequate as a run roof if your run is continuous with your chicken house and the house isn't independently secure. If you need to protect against raccoons at night, chicken wire on the roof of the run will not be adequate.

Back
Top Bottom