Double layer chicken wire?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sue121507, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - as for the predators you have, you'd be amazed at the animals that live around you that you are entirely unaware of. Not seeing a species does not mean the species is not there.

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We use 1/2" hardware cloth because we have this:

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

3. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Chicken wire is big enough holes for racoons to get their jaw into and chew the wire open.

4. 0die

0die Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    corpus christi, tx 78413
    wow,,,I didn't think animals would normally have a "taste" for metal...unless they were trying to escape and thus in fight or flight mode...

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When that metal is between them and a tasty meal, there is plenty of motivation to tear through it with paws and teeth. Food is just as motivating as fear, even moreso.

6. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    0 x 2 = 0

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Weasels are going to get into a run unless massive amounts of money are spent to 100% predator proof. That's what a coop is for, night time protection when things like weasels come out to play.

That said then there is only protection from stray dogs, fox, possum, skunk etc. which will dig under the run in day time. I use 2x4 welded wire. Comes in 14 gauge 4ft X 50ft rolls for $35 at Lowes or Home Depot. Animals can't chew through 14 gauge metal. My run is encircled bottom 4ft with that and then cut lengths in half to have a skirt laying on ground under and out from run walls. Dig proof made easy. The rest of my run is covered with plastic green garden fencing. Yup, cheep and really only stopping birds from getting out and hawks from flying in. Not to mention stray dogs from jumping over the 4ft of welded wire.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Nice looking bobcat.

I can't get size perspective but think it's a bobcat.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Quick question on the garden fencing - how well does it hold up over time? I am considering using it for my upcoming alteration project to my existing pasture fence - just need it to keep the chickens in, not anything else out for what I have in mind - and have already listed it over poultry netting for a bit of extra longevity and a *little* more quality on my options list. Would love to hear from you since you have used it.

10. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't know the terminal longevity. I used it on a grow out pen 5 years ago and the plastic is not brittle or seem to be breaking down at all in the sun yet. So my guess is it lasts, excellent UV protection. Unlike the plastic water fountains and feeders that deteriorate in the sun in less than two years.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by