Double yoke eggs

securityforall

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Rembert
I am new to raising chickens. My birds have only begun to lay eggs on a regular basis. Oddly enough I have collected two double yoke eggs in the last three weeks. Since they were both laid in the same spot, I was wondering how often this happens and is it dangerous to the chicken.

welcome-byc.gif
I had a couple pullets that did that when they first started laying. I would get one or two a week. After six weeks or so, they are all laying nice large/ex large eggs. I think they are just working the kinks out of their system.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it is not dangerous to the chicken. Some lay double yokers as their bodies adjust to laying. I've heard that it is a good sign that it is a very healthy chicken. And, I've had one to two chickens that just consistently layed double yolkers.
smile.png

I have a Khaki Campbell duck that has recently started laying double yolkers after taking the summer off from laying. It is not great for a bird to lay double yolkers because they are usually much larger than a standard egg, but it is also usually a rare occurrence (although not always- some birds lay them regularly). It is really not great for hatching, though. Twins don't do that well in the bird kingdom. Since your bird is new to this whole laying thing, I'd say she's just working out the kinks in the plumbing.

Good luck with her.

Our Rocks are still giving us 2x yolkers although they are getting to be fewer. They have been laying about 7-8 wks now. Egg size is getting more consistant also.

Last edited:
my first egg was a double yolker, layed by a barred rock after a dog attack. could've been stress. she lived to be nine so should be fine.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Only 2? My 4 red sex links produce an average of one a day since they started laying 3 weeks ago. Don't know if it is one bird that is doing this or all of them, one day at a time, but either way it doesn't seem to be effecting them one way or the other. Don't worry about it--apparently the ovi are coming faster that they can cover them with a shell.

Back
Top Bottom